From:
"Tracy L. Tunnison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:53:51 -0400
Hi all!!
With the current debate over what to feed your ferret I would like to share
something I read fairly recently (within 2 months) in Veterinary Forum
magazine.  I can't remember who it was written by but could find out if
anyone wants it.  In the article this veterinarian said that Science Diet
food is no longer acceptable for ferrets as they have changed the formula to
a much higher corn content.  I have not checked the bag myself as my clinic
only carries Prescription Diet and not Science Diet.  But it just reminds us
all not to blindly buy the same product over and over.  You still need to
read the ingredients list because you never know if they have changed
anything.

Now for something completely different...

My Cooter is a going on 5 MF gib and has in the last year developed
cataracts.  I was very concerned that his failing vision would slow him down
in some way.  Yeah, right!!  Well, anyway he has always had a straw fetish.
Whenever someone has a cup like from McDonald's with a straw sticking out,
Cooter would fight hell and high water to get it.  Sometimes, with those not
used to ferrets, this could get pretty touchy.  No matter how many times I
told them not to worry about him biting, some people are just naturally
afraid.  So Cooter would procede to climb pantlegs, leap from other
furniture, beg, cheat and steal to get HIS straw!  I have learned to just
let him have it cause he won't leave you alone til he gets his way.  Very
persistent aren't they:)?  When we moved and tore down the water bed I found
about 100 straws behind the headboard.  Boy was he mad when his stash was
confiscated!!  Now he had to start all over and he did so with a vengeance!
(Don't worry, Cooter never chewed on them, just stole them:)) Anyway, he can
still spot a straw at 10 paces.  I think he has "selective vision":)

Next time I post I'll tell you about his Pop-goes-the-Weasel imitation :)

Tracy and the Wild Bunch