From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:23:48 -0400
Well, Alexandra (in MA), I think I know why Ping and Puma like Jay
Hawkins but not Marilyn Manson. They can hear. And have taste.

Seriously, Manson has a lot of electric bass rumble and high overtone
dissonances that simply aren't there (despite the screaming) in the
Hawkins version. Ditto the other links you gave -- no nasty heavy bass.
So I think it's "explicable".

My cats are severe critics of my violin playing. They can ignore what
comes over speakers, but when it's live they give me a dirty look and
leave the room. It puts quite a damper on practice time.

On the other hand, the ferrets get excited and dook and they want to
find out EXACTLY where the noise is coming from, which means climbing
up on the table or on me and trying to stand on the violin while I
play. Once I was playing a cello and Missy managed to actually climb in
through the f-holes (they were large and Missy was a tiny girl), then
poke her nose out again in great satisfaction. Took quite some time
(and some ferretone) to get her out. Frankie also liked the recorder --
so I say; my housemate says he hated it and only came over to see if he
could make me stop. But once, when he had gotten outside and I thought
he was lost, I played my recorder and he poked his nose out of a
woodchuck hole. The woodchuck, meanwhile, spooked at the music. What
they were doing in there -- together? -- is one of those great unsolved
mysteries. Frankie looked a little like the donkey with the dragon in
Shrek. He seemed very thankful when I finally got him inside again,
tucked into his own hammy.

-Claire