Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 15:54:38 -0500
To Everyone (at the prodding of Laura L'Heureux)

>Not having actually performed any ferret surgeries myself yet, I
>cannot speak to the difficulty of the surgery.  But I can say that I've
>watched Dr. K. do I-don't-know-how-many, and also many cat and dog spays, and
>I have to speculate (Dr. Williams is far better equipped than I to answer
>this with accuracy) that a ferret spay is actually probably *easier* than a
>dog spay because of where the uterus is and the fact that smaller animal
>often equals smaller vessels and less bleeding.

        Ferret spays tend to range anywhere from $40-125, depending on the
familiarity of the vet with ferrets.  They are extremely easy, just like in the
cat.  There is very little tissue manipulation involved, as the uterus is right
on top, just under the skin, and there is very little bleeding.  It's a snap!!!

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000