From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 01:48:16 -0700
FISHING: I'm no expert, but my understanding is that aquariums are massively
full of bacteria (when compared to the sea), and I think they may contain
parasites.  I'd be loathe to let my ferrets fish for fish that are in or
have been in an aquarium for fear of serious bacteria and giardia, etc., but
that's just unscientific opinion.

LITTER TRAINING TIPS: This seems to be a perennial issue, which people ask
about again and again.

The key to litter training is to start small and expand only as they show
responsibility.  I have no experience with what it is like if you cage your
ferrets, but if you don't cage them . . .

 ... Start the ferrets in the bathroom.  Place the box near the toilet.  My
experience is that they will normally do it right in one room, but if they
don't, you can put a rumpled old blanket or food dish in a corner that is an
occasional mistake, but if they are out of control you must confine them to
a smaller space.  After 2-4 weeks of them doing it right in the one room
(taking them out to play and supervising them carefully when they are out
and about, of course, but basically housing them in the one room), change
the barricades so as to give them the bathroom and part of the hallway.
For an occasional mistake you can try the blanket tricks and such, but as
before, if they are out of control, confine to a smaller space again for a
time.  After 2-4 weeks of them doing it right there, give them a little more
space.  Get as much urine up out of a mistake as possible, and use Nature's
Miracle or similar to clean.  You may have to block off any troublesome
areas such as behind a dresser.

Dors and Seldon were trained 5-6 years ago to do it right, and they used it
right every time.  Their home was the entire house and they knew where the 2
litterboxes were (bathroom and kitchen).  I did not need millions of boxes.
If you have more than 2 ferrets it may be more difficult; I have no
experience with more than 2 ferrets at a time.  A month and a half ago I got
a new ferret (a month or two after Seldon died), and the newbie is up to
bathroom, hallway, and bedroom.  He is doing it right, and I am finding no
surprises when I come home.  It is really great sleeping with him.  Finally,
you should cut down the front edge of the litterbox.

My ferrets jump off my bed and head straight into the bathroom for the
litter box, then come back and snuggle with me; you *can* litter train
ferrets.  Remember: start small and expand only as they show responsibility.
Scolding them out of it has no effect unless you catch them in the act.
Confinement is the answer.

Todd Cromwell III, WA State, Dors and Dantes