From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:40:26 -0700
>Date:    Sun, 18 May 1997 13:39:12 -0400
>From:    Debbie Blackner <[log in to unmask]>
>My kids and I took our wonderful 2.8 year old male MF ferret Pogo to the vet
>because his stools were soft and he started going "anywhere" instead of his
>litterbox.  She did fecal sample, found no evidence of bad bugs and
>prescribed an antibiotic anyway.  He is fine in this sense.
>Pogo also has lost about 1.5 inches of hair on the bottom of his tail. . .
>one one side only.

>2. $75 blood test, sent to University of Tennessee which could positively
>   tell whether or not this was adrenal tumor.  In addition a glucose test
>   would be done to rule out pancreatic problems.

My vet says these are not definitive tests.  Last I talked to him, he said
that "at best" they are only 50 percent accurate.  A competent vet skilled
in ferret surgery is a better option.  Someone very skilled in ultrasound
might also help, run the ultrasound first to look for the adrenal tumor.

>4. Ultrasound.  This will cost about $150.  The technician/vet who does this
>   visits once a month at my vet's clinic.  If nothing is found this does
>   not conclusively prove that Pogo doesn't have a tumor. . .  just that
>   she can't see it.

True, but competence of the person performing the test and their experience
with testing ferrets can greatly add to the odds of the test being
conclusive.

>I asked the vet if this hair loss could be an "adolescent" thing.  She said
>she has never heard of hair loss on the tail being a common adolescent
>ferret occurrance.

Sounds like she doesn't see that many ferrets.  It isn't common, but it does
occur.

>She said Pogo was no longer an adolescent at 2.5 years of age anyway.  He
>is an old guy by ferret standards (I hope not!)

So what does that make a ferret who's 10?  Even the low numbers on average
ferret life span are about 6, so that only makes yours "middle aged" at
best, certainly NOT OLD!!

Statements like this might be considered "red flags", that the vet is just
not experienced enough with ferrets.  Have you checked the STAR database?
Contacted ferret clubs/shelter in your area for a vet referral?  Checked the
AAHA for a recommendation?

>Pogo has no "little black dots" I've heard described by others on this list
>as being present in adolescent hair loss on the tail.

Are there "orange dots"?  Or any other discoloration or spots at all??

>What should we do??  Is hair loss on the end of the tail indicative of
>adrenal problems. . . or is it the base of the tail??

You might like to read the Adrenal FAQ for clarification of some points,
there's also an Adrenal Mailing List you can refer to/join.

In Adrenal cases, hairloss is usually at the base of the tail, and
progresses up the spinal column and spreads uniformly to both sides of the
spinal column.  Sometimes the tail goes completely bald first though, but it
usually starts at the base.  In dealing with hundreds of ferrets through the
shelter, I have seen a few cases where ferrets actually "pluck their own
hair" from their tails, and this is usually on the underside like you are
describing.  Often this is out of boredom.  Can you find safe toys to put
into the cage to amuse this little guy, or increase his daily playtime out
of the cage??  That my solve the problem if it is not health-related.

I have two little girls here now who insist on chewing on the end of their
tails so the hair is bitten off short.  It looks funny, but isn't adrenal
related except that one, Sammy, *does* have an inoperable, cancerous,
adrenal tumor and sometimes her "pms" is worse causing her to chew on her
tail hairs.  Adrenal tumors greatly affect hormone levels and can increase
excitability/aggitaion in ferrets, especially females.

>Pogo shows no other signs of problems.  He is eating well, energetic,
>pouncing, chasing, etc.  No other fur has been lost.

In males you will often see thinning of the hair across the shoulders in
cases of adrenal tumors.  If you are only seeing hairloss on the underside
of the tail, I would not panic just yet, as there are other possibilities.

>Any advice would be appreciated... we live in Irving, TX.

AHH!!!  Great!!  You are in such luck!!  You can see Dr. Kendrick.  I am
only about 60 miles from you so I know the DFW area well, especially as far
as vets go.  I haven't found one yet that I'd trust with a ferret in Irving,
though there are many who think they know but only want to run every single
test in the world (proabably for the $$), one vet in Irving who is known as
a ferret-knowledgeable vet <cough>cost a little boy his life only last week
because they waited days and days on tests, and they were not feeding him or
addressing his immediate problems.

Dr. Roger Kendrick is the only vet in this area that I recommend.  I use him
for all the shelter ferrets, and my own, of course.  Roger has performed
miracles on some of these kids!!  He is so compassionate, he loves ferrets
to death, and is extremely competent and knowledgeable about ferrets,
staying current on all the latest in ferret medicine.  PLEASE take your
little guy Pogo to see him!!  He is in Arlington, yep that's a little drive,
but I drive 1-1/4 hours one way to get to him, sometimes on a weekly basis!
He's worth it, and Pogo is worth it.  I guarantee you won't be
disappointed!!  (He's also cheaper than the prices you quote for surgery,
etc..) And he has his own ultrasound machine and can run this test if he
feels it necessary.  Mainly, he needs to see your little guy, and he can
tell you if it is adrenal related, or behavioral, or just a bacterial
infection on the tail or impacted hair folicles.

There's also a DFW Ferret Lovers' Club you may want to get involved in.  The
club is doing lots of great stuff for ferrets locally.  Next meeting will be
in Mesquite (that's closer than most meetings would be to you), second
Sunday in June, 2pm.  Call 817-498-1470 for club info/hotline.  Hey, call me
if you like!!!  My number's on the hotline.

Just tell Roger I sent ya and how you found me/him!  (Someday he'll be
on the FML and the internet, too.)

Kisses to the fuzzies,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter