From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:38:33 -0400
I never liked to beg, but it has come to the point where I'm getting down on
my knees and begging for your help.

Our shelter is pennyless.  We currently have 160 ferrets in our shelter,
around 50 in need of adrenal surgery.  That's not to mention the other
medical needs, medications and day to day expenses of caring for 160
ferrets.  Please don't think we neglect their needs because we don't, but
the shelter is going deeper and deeper into debt each day.  Our expenses
last year exceeded $32,000.00.  Only because of the good graces of our
shelter vets are we able to provide needed medical care.  Elective surgery,
such as adrenal surgery at $300 a crack, has to be put on hold.

The shelter is currently ECE active and has been so since February.  We're
unable to adopt out unless the adopter has no ferrets.  We're also unable
to take any more in because the shelter is bursting at the seams.  We are
only taking in strays or abandoned ferrets and though we feel terrible
about it, have had to refuse many that have just found their ferrets
inconvenient (for whatever lousy reason).  Just last week one woman said
"either you take my ferret or I'm going to let it go" and unfortunately we
were not able to take it.

What are we to do!  People who have no idea what they're getting into are
buying them like crazy around here and then abandoning them or just letting
them loose.

There are over 2600 receiving this list.  If some of you could see it in
your heart to send a dollar or two (or twenty-five), it would help greatly.
We are a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation and do qualify as a charitable
organization so your donations are tax deductible.  Many of you were kind
enough to send in recipes when I request them a while back, and for that
we're grateful.  Unfortunately, the recipe book won't be out for a few
months and we're not expecting a cash windfall from its sale.

Some of you know that I have not hesitated to personally send $25 or more to
different individuals here that had ONE ferret that was in need of money to
get medical help, won't you please consider doing the same for our shelter?

Please dig into your pocket and see if you can find a spare dollar or two...
PLEASE!  If you do find one or two, send them to:

   South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, Inc.
   P.O. Box 570927
   Miami, FL 33257-0927

If a PO Box makes you feel uneasy, email me and I'll give you the shelter's
street address (which is also the president's home) or my address or even
the vet's office if that helps.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Member, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.bridge.net/~mjanke