From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:07:10 -0400
Ferret CAN get rabies.  But there have been less than 25 naturally infected
rabid ferrets reported in the US since the CDC started compiling records.
The last in this country was in 1996.

Extensive testing shows that for most virus strains (and a LOT of them have
been tested!), the ferret DIES BEFORE the virus shows up in their saliva,
making them INCAPABLE of spreading the disease.  The exception is the
raccoon strain, where some ferrets shed the virus up to 2 days before
showing symptoms.  All ferrets died within 8 days of showing symptoms.

Only a VERY small minority of rabid ferrets exhibit aggressive symptoms;
most are very lethargic and disinclined to bite, even when provoked to
do so.

NO ferret has ever tranmitted rabies to a human.  (In fact, I haven't heard
of any cases where they transmitted it to any other animal outside of
clinical studies--anyone know of any?)

Thus the statement "Most people aren't aware that ferrets can spread rabies
in their saliva" without the "NOT" is effectively false.

I have reliable references for all of this if anyone is interested.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting