From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:52:12 -0700
First I want to apologize for not posting sooner.  Had my hands full last
night and today with the two surgery kids.

Ok.  First..  TONKA!  He is just 3 years old and was adrenal.  fast
moving adrenal too.  Vet called and said it was a rightie.Shawn and I
talked quickly while he was opened on the table and decided to take the
risk and have them remove it.  Our previous vet didn't do good with
righties..  and we normally don't have them remove it if it is one.
But due to Tonkas age and the fact that he is getting more and more
aggressive we decided that he needed it done.  The vet did the "giliten"
method on his right adrenal gland.  and he seems to be doing fine.
Tired and worn out when we got him but as soon as we got home he wanted
out of the cage.  and has been doing great so far.

Lily.  she is about 5 years old and was almost bald when we got her
several months back.  She was one of the personal ferrets from Ginny
(Ferret Friends).  Ginny past away and after the decision was made by
the shelter she was with to allow our shelter to keep the kids and find
homes for we scheduled surgery for her.  We are blessed because Ferret
Friends is picking up the vet bill for her (THANK GOODNESS).  Lily was
on melatonin in her soup.  which seemed to have helped.  But she still
needed surgery.  Sooooo off she went.  Due to what appears to be an
infection in her throat (which we had no idea she had), they couldn't
tube her for surgery.  Hers was a left adrenal gland.  That was no
biggie.  but she was having a hard time waking up afterwards.  The vet
thinks she had a problem with the (not sure of spelling) acepromozone
(shot to help her relax).  She was bleeding too.  or seeping really.  The
vet thought she may have cushings.  We took her home and I kept her with
me.  She would use the litter box (with my help) and would seep some
more.  We put a cold water pack on her belly for a bit to help with that.
Seemed to work.  She was eating soup without a problem.  Just tired.  I
took her with me to work today to keep a close eye on her (we don't leave
them at the vets because no one is there at night).  She has stopped
seeping, is eating and taking her meds and walked around for a bit.  So
I think she will be just fine.

We have two other sick kids at the house.  BamBam and Benny.  BamBam has
been with us for just over a year now.  He has a huge tumor in his belly
that they can't remove.  His insulinoma is really flaring up now too.  I
would have bet anything that I was going to lost him last week.  I came
home and he was cold and barely breathing.  But he pulled through.  We
will not do life saving procedures and blood and stuff with him.  He's
been through enough already.  He is happy and is being totally spoiled.
just doing hospice.  I know we will have to take him in to be put to
sleep though soon.  The other one is Benny.  He has tumors throughout
also.  He's only 3 years old and is just going downhill.  another hospice
baby.  He has been with us for 3 months now and he has not played yet.
He loves his cuddle time and sleeps with me once in awhile.  These two
boys just break my heart.

My niece is at my house and she just got a call from someone who has a
ferret that is skin and bones and no hair.  He was going to take the
ferret and put it to sleep.  But called us.  (guess he found out that
the vets charge for that) Anyways... she asked him to call me back this
evening and that we would take him in and take care of him.  Good thing
our shelter closed over 2 years ago!  I'll try to let everyone know if we
do get him/her tonight.  Keep the ferret in your prayers in case we don't
hear back from the guy.  Hate taking them in due to the cost.  but what
else am I going to do?  Let him/her die?  Couldn't do that!

I am going to be listing some things on ebay to help with the vet bills.
we are out of funds for everything!  NO GOOD!  So time to start selling
off some cool stuff for someone else to enjoy.

Hope everyone is having a great day. keep kissing your fuzzies!

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz