From:
Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:50:11 +0800
>From:    oblenia <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet shop ferrets

>Ferrets acquired from private breeders are "fixed" at a later date than
>ferrets from pet shops, correct?  ... wouldn't an unaltered ferret bite
>harder and be more aggressive than a "fixed" MF one?  That could be scary
>to an inexperienced ferret owner.

Well ... No.  It is MORE likely that a ferret from a smaller breeder will
be *less* nippy as they will get *more* individual attention.  BUT ... MF
ferrets are known to be very well temperamented.  Neutering of the ferret
will not at all affect their behavior.  Does altering a puppy or kitten
lower it's chewing or nipping habits?

>What happens to the ferrets in pet stores that are not sold?  Are they
>put to sleep?  Given to labs for medical testing?  What's worse- getting
>a ferret from a pet store when you can't stop from selling ferrets, or
>leaving them there to die or have horrible experiments done to them?  It
>seems like a hopeless situation to me, I don't see how not purchasing the
>ferrets at pet stores will make breeders stop selling them there.

Most are sent back or sold for a lower price.  When they go back to MF -
who knows what they do with them.  Stores that sell them older will have
folks getting somewhat nippy ferrets (usually, but not always) and
hopefully they will not end up in shelters because of it.  Some stores
surrender the ferrets to shelters as well and write the "product" off as
a loss.

My personal belief on Pet Stores is that NO animals should be sold in a pet
store (on the exception of feeder mice, rats, etc - and I am torn on that).
Instead, the store owners should have a referance book for shelters,
rescues, clubs, and breeders.  The folks listed in the pages would pay to
be in the yearly or bi-yearly book.  That would *really* help cut down on
impulse buys and animal mills.  Folks would be forced to learn more about
the animal they want and to think more about the commetment.

Or so the theory is ...

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Perth, Western Australia