From:
"C. Zack Gonzales" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:05:43 -0500
in a nutshell, petco sold us a darling whippet that was a week away from
death.

our ferret pupkin was not our first choice (BUT HE RULES!).  see, for xmas
I got my girlfriend a ferret book, a cage, food, etc. and a gift certif.
for a ferret.  she had only to go and pick one out.  so she read the book,
we talked about ferrets, and she went to petco and bought one.  poor Boa
never had a chance; Jen bought the most docile one of the bunch, because
she was a bit wierded out from biting tales.

well, Boa was a mellow non biter, sure, but she was also a mellow non
drinker-non eater green mucous poop kinda ferret, saddest thing I've ever
seen.

but the thing is, and I'm sure you all can remember this, we were new
parents-we didn't know what they should do, or what we should do.

for about five days boa just lived on ferretvite, "the brown love".  she
favored her side, she would go to sleep after minutes of activity...she
was dying.  petco sold us a dying ferret.

well on the sixth day I went to check on her and her eyes were covered in
a mucousy crust.  she was not moving.  so we made some calls, took her to
a vet, the vet told us just how Severely underweight she was (you could
distinctly feel each vertebrae), told us what that rust colored pee meant,
etc.

so I called petco to see if we could (I know its bad) swap her out for
another ferret.  it would've cost over 1000$ dollars for just that night
of care for Boa, and we felt that we had the right to a healthy pet.  they
said they could swap her, but then when we arrived they said they needed a
reciept!

I'm holding a dying ferret that we had bought from the same store a week
ago and now they're saying we needed a reciept!  but I haggled and showed
him the dying fuzzy and they took Boa, giving us a coupon for one free
ferret.

later on that week we went to a different location and bought the CRAZIEST
ferret we could: Pupkin!

I hate Petco.  they know nothing about ferrets.  five, six, seven kits in
a cage w/ an empty, hanging water bottle, massive poop pile.

Look around in there.  Its not just the ferrets.  Go look at the guinea
pigs or the hamsters; their group cages are covered in poop, and most of
the time, when you look hard you can find diarrea.

the only thing they have going for them is that dog biscuit snack bar.

does anyone know their email addresses?

ALSO- Julie Stephen's last post about the 1st aid kit got me thinking...
what should I put in a 1st aid kit?  I'd like to make one too...

Dook Diggler,
Lord Pupkin and Zack