From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:49:08 EDT
>We found a couple of bloody stools yesterday.  One was a tar-like
>substance, the other obvious bloody diarrhea ( you could see the color on
>the side of the box).

Could be serious.  Any diarrhea, vomiting associated with it?  Could be
the ferret ate something sharp and it is tearing the insides.  Could be an
ulcer resulting from helicobacter or could be proliferative bowel disease.
The latter often results in a bloody stool, while the former is often found
with diarrhea and foul smelling at that.  Talk to your vet and have him
check.  Helicobacter is more common and often treated with a combination of
amoxicillin, Pepto Bismal and Metronidazole.  Proliferative bowel disease
is often characterized by a marked thickening of the bowel along with the
bloody diarrhea.  It is often treated with Chloramphenicol.  Both should be
treated aggressively along with any supportive care required.

>I was petting my ferret Ratty the other day and I felt some bumps on her
>neck sort of under her chin.  I think they are her lymph nodes.  How big
>should they be?  Should I be able to feel them?

Could be a systemic infection, an abscessed tooth or even lymphoma.  I
don't think I'd wait.  Dr. Weiss is an excellent vet and should be able
to either treat the problem or put your mind at ease.

>Help my little girlie has the greenies!  We got a new baby about a week
>ago and it seems he brought his new sister the greenies.

Not all green diarrhea is ECE.  Chances are what you are seeing is stress
related helicobacter.  Good idea to see the vet.  All diarrhea needs to be
treated aggressively regardless of the source.  Food and especially fluids
are critical since a ferret can become dehydrated very quickly.  The vet
should be able to run test to get an idea of what the problem may be.
He'll likely treat with Amoxicillin, Pepto Bismal, and Chloramphenicol.  He
may include Carafate along with it, just in case it is helicobacter which
could lead to an ulcer.  Carafate is a human ulcer medication that binds to
ulcerated tissue allowing it to heal.

What you are seeing is not uncommon with the introduction of a new ferret.

Dick B
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter