From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:06:39 -0500
On Jan 9, 2009, at 2:00 AM, Darlene Connon wrote:
>I got this link from one of my sewing groups and wanted to pass it
>along. Since there is alot of people who do sewing and crafts to sell
> http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/263549

Another article (same website) is
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/264831

The law is question is HR 4040, the "Consumer Product Safety
Improvement Act of 2008".

The part ot the law that has people upset is section 102, which
requires that items be actually tested for lead and phthalates. The
cost of testing would be ruinous to small craftspeople.

However, the proposed law is a bit unclear. Section 102 adds the
testing requrement language to the current product safety law, 15
U.S.C. 2063. Strictly speaking, it should only apply to items that are
already subject to that law: items that may contain lead or phthalates
(a type of soft plastic). Fabric items do not normally contain either
lead or phthalates, and so a reasonable interpretation is that they
would not be subject to the act. However, one could also say that you
don't KNOW unless you test, so several lawmakers have called for the
CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) to clarify the law.

One proposal that would be especially helpful would be to allow
"materials-based certification". This would allow small businesses to
rely on certification of their suppliers, rather than testing their own
items. This is how the current law works with regard to toymakers; if a
toymaker can attest that he only uses lead-free paint, there is no need
to test his toys further.

Ferret bedding probably doesn't come under this act, but it would
probably be good for any small craftsperson to support clarification
of this law (before the Jan 20 deadline).

You can write to
The Office of the Secretary,
Consumer Product Safety Commission,
Room 502, 4330 East-West Highway,
Bethesda, Maryland 20814 US.

or send email to:  [log in to unmask]

or send a fax to:  301 504-0127

When you write, mention that this is
Re: Section 102 Mandatory Third-Party Testing of Component Parts

You are also urged to contact your Senators and Representative.