From:
Lynn-Anne Friese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 17:31:53 -0500
To Robert Malik, whose ferret has been fed Purina One and has experienced
the loss of hair on the lower 2/3 of the tail...

My ferret had been in an almost identical situation until a few weeks ago.
Just after we adopted her (about 6 months ago) she lost quite a bit of
hair on her tail.  It had already been sparse, due to a poor diet, but I
think the diet, complicated with the stress of being brought into a new
environment, caused the hair loss to worsen.  She was refusing to eat the
Science Diet and Iams kitten foods we have for our other two ferrets, so
we fed her Friskies initially, then switched her over to Purina One a while
later.

It had been several months, and there were no signs of the hair growing
back.  Then, a few weeks ago, I had a few good brands of food recommended
to me by Nancy Hartman, as an alternative to the Science Diet and Iams
foods she wouldn't eat.  Of the new brands I tried, she took to the Pro
Plan kitten food.  Within just the 2-3 weeks that she's been on it, the
hair has grown back so rapidly you wouldn't believe it.  She went from
having the last 2/3 of her tail being almost completely bare (a lot like
your ferret) to an almost fully covered tail.  (The hair is short, of course
but it's there.)  It seems all she needed was the better food.  Anyway,
I'd definitely recommend trying a better food, supplemented with some
Ferretone too, if you're not already using it.

--
Lynn-Anne Friese
mixcom!ccwwcc%uunet.uu.net