Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:44:31 EST
In a message dated 2/17/98 11:25:23 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>STAR* passed out over 200 copies of the rabies compenduim this past weekend
>at the HSUS animal care expo in San Diego.

Here is what I have to add:

90% of the animal control, shelter operators, vets, etc.  we talked to had
not heard of the changes.  5 % had heard, but wanted the changes in writing
(and we handed it to them).

95% of the CA animal people wanted ferrets legalized because they were tired
of the Fish and Game making them euthanize or seize wonderful animals.

We did a ferret rescue while there - little darling was at the shelter since
last September and no one wanted to put her down, but she needed to be sent
somewhere.  FA took her to move her out of state.  She was young, but had no
muscle mass due to being caged constantly and probably being fed lesser
quality cat food.

It is VERY important that everyone reading this message take the time to get
a copy of the Compundium and make enough copies to send to every vet, animal
control, public health office, pet shop, and private shelter that are listed
in the phone book in their closet.  I also talked to pet sitting services at
the expo - and suggest you all do the same as well.  I would rather the
services above be over educated rather than under educated.

>If you need a copy of the Compendium, or advice on how the spread the word
>without bankrupting your local organization, contact me.  I need an SASE
>and you get a copy of the Compendium.

STAR* will also provide this for a SASE:
PO Box 1714, Springfield, VA 22151-0714

Help spread the word for the ferret's sake.  We all know what ASS-U-ME means.

Pam