From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:58:17 -0700
>From:    "Henry Lee Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Forums
>I had an emergency where my ferret was choking.  I wanted to get an answer
>as soon as possible from a knowledgable person.  My only recourse was to
>send mail to the FML.  Needless to say, I got quick response from many of
>the readers, and I thank you all greatly.  Of course, due to the nature of
>the FML, if it had been more serious, the answers would have came too late.

The FML is only one of the ferret oriented mail lists.  It is the only one
that is available only as a digest.  It has been popular, so much so that
BIG has imposed limits on how much authors can submit.  But there are
alternatives and supplemental forums.

The Ferret-Forum is an international list that is available as both a digest
and normal (immediate messages.  There are at least four regional mail lists
in Vancouver British Columbia, Dallas-Ft Worth Texas, the triangle area of
North Carolina and Montreal Quebec.  Check http://www.ferret.net/ for more
information on those mail lists.  There is one other "national" mail list
but it's comatose.  There are also the newsgroups rec.pets.ferrets and
alt.pets.ferrets that can get spread fairly quickly.  These are alll very
good tools.  There are very helpful and knowledgeable people reading all of
these forums.

Each forum has its personality.  The FML is rather shelter based and
political.  The Ferret-forum is more friendly.  alt.pets.ferrets tends to
get rambunctious with firebrands.

This isn't to knock your efforts though.  There seems to be a fairly
unlimitted thirst for forums to discuss ferrets.  There are web based chats,
AOL chats, answer services (including our own Ask Buddha) and a few pinging
each other using ICQ.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/