From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:35:46 -0800
I went today to the Flea Market, feeling I'd spend a few pleasant hours
browsing.  When I came to the booth in A-410, G.M.Exotics, I became very
upset at the condition of the albino ferret there.

1. He was kept in a glass sided cage.  Ferrets are extremely heat-sensitive,
   and this by itself, in our 85+ heat could be fatal.
2. He was in this aquarium filled with pine shavings, known to cause
   respiratory illness in ferrets, as well as blockages from which they
   occasionally do not recover.
3. He had no food readily available.  Although the man in charge of the
   booth dug what seemed like cat food scraps from the bottom of the
   shavings, there was no ready source of food for this animal.  His 'food'
   dish was filled with the pine shavings.
4. His water bottle was too high for him to reach with any ease. He had
   great difficulty getting to his water.
5. The ferret himself was sick.  His eyes were rimmed with red, his skin
   tone was grey, his fur was sparse & his hindquarters swollen.  I'm not a
   vet, but if he were living in my house, I'd diagnose adrenal tumor due to
   the swelling and the sparse fur.  When the manager tried to pick him up,
   the animal bit him.  I reached for the ferret, assuring the manager that
   he held no liability, and, the ferret did not bite me, or try to.  The
   ferret was lethargic due to heat or illness.  Other patrons in the shop
   had tried to get his attention & he did not respond.  Healthy ferrets are
   very lively, curious creatures, especially one as young as this one
   seemed to be by his size (small) and weight (too little).  I live with an
   albino ferret & his coat is full and bristly since it is now winter,
   according to their clocks.  The ferret in this shop was close to balding
   in comparison with my healthy ferret.
6. There was also a cage with sugar gliders in it (2 that I saw). Sugar
   gliders are nocturnal animals & should not be caged in a glass aquarium
   in Florida heat in the sun during the day.  They need darkness and quiet.
7. There was a tray full of small turtles for sale.  Although there was a
   sign saying for research purposes only, there were no forms to be signed
   by the buyers to verify this.

A couple visiting the shop at the same time as I was were as disturbed by
the conditions as I was, and we all went to the manager's booth together.
Their concern (as was their young son's) was mainly the turtles.  Mine was
the condition of the ferret, the shop, and the sugar gliders.

Your manager, Rhonda Hoke, was responsive and concerned and told both me
& the other couple who to speak with. We both had the impression that we
were not the first complainants about G.M. Exotics.

I want to know the condition of that ferret.  If he was bought, I want to
know by whom,and the conditions under which he will be kept.  If he is as
sick as I think he is, I want him turned over to me or to the nearest Ferret
Shelter for treatment.  If I do not hear back from you tomorrow, I will have
to contact Animal Control and then Channel 8.

I love Big Top.  This is not about you.  This is about animals who are not
being treated properly for their natures.  Mark & Greg Hicks are providing a
service by offering animals for sale.  Perhaps all they need is education.
Until they are retrained, there is a sick ferret that needs attention.

Best Regards,
Paula Bryder
5514 Terrace Ct #3
Temple Terrace Fl, 33617