From:
"Nancy Hartman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1991 23:00:42 -0400
I would like to thank everyone for all the support you've given me.  It
really helps a *LOT*.

Here's an update on the situation.  Once again, this is not a ferret
related letter, so if you aren't interested, just skip to the end.

There weren't any problems when Alex first saw Mike.  We were worried
that he might get scared when he saw Mike all bandaged up, but he just
seemed curious about all of it.  I guess he thought it was just like
wearing glasses, just another thing on his face.

Peggy is still very critical, but stable.  The outlook isn't very good
on her paralasys, though.  The doctors are pretty certain that she will
be paralysed, now we just have to wait and find out to what extent.
I mentioned in the last letter that the paralasys had gone from her
nipple line down to her belly button, well that has gone back up,
which is very discouraging.  Apparently there is a problem which
is causing the blood supply to her lower back to be blocked.  The doctor
doesn't know what.  They are trying to keep her blood pressure and
heart rate up so that they can get as much blood as possible to the
area.  The way they are keeping the blood pressure up is to give
her lots of fluids, this is making her *VERY* bloated, so I'm sure she
must feel miserable (I know what PMS is like.  This must be *TERRIBLE*!)
Today she was feeling so badly that she didn't even write us any
notes, and we had a hard time even getting her to respond to questions.
Hopefully, that's just because of feeling sick due to the fluids and
the anesthesia from the other night.  They also have her *HIGHLY*
drugged up.

She is starting to get very depressed, too.  Yesterday she wrote
to Mike that she wished we would just unplug her and let her die.  Mike
started crying and chastised her for even saying such a thing, Alex
and him need her too much.  She apologized.  I don't think she really
meant it, and although devastating for all of us, I think it's a
good thing that she's at least communicating her feelings.  Also, this
is very normal in this type of situation.

She also pulled out her breathing tube last night.  I doubt that it
was a suicide attempt, though.  She probably just woke up disoriented,
and her throat hurt.  Her first reaction was to get rid of the
thing causing the pain.  Sadly, the doctor has decided to keep the
tube in for a few more days.  We were hoping that it would be off by
tomorrow.  She really wants to be able to communicate, and that will
be a *MAJOR* step in making her feel like she's starting to heal.
But, the doctor says that if she has any breathing irregularity when
taken off the respirator, she may puncture her lung because she has
some broken ribs.

Remember to keep us in your prayers, especially Peggy, she *REALLY* needs
a miracle!!!  Right now medicine is saying that she probably will
never walk again, we are praying that God will give her the use
of her legs.  Even more importantly, she's still in critical condition,
medicine says that she's almost certain to live, we're praying
that God will make that *ABSOLUTELY* certain.  As long as she's alive,
she's still the Peggy that we love.  The rest will work out!!!

Thanks,

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree