From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:26:52 -0400
Dear Sandee-
Please watch for Brodie- "Brodie Ferret Wise Williams".  I am sure he is
poking his way towards the bridge.  Brodie is a special boy.  He arrived at
Ferret Wise shelter out of necessity -- you see his owner was a terminal
cancer patient and had lovingly cared for Brodie for 4 1/2 years - and had
actually gotten Brodie as a companion for her 11 year old daughter knowing
due to illness she could not always pay enough attention to them due to her
illness and wanting to build a positive force in the little gals life.  The
day it all happened was in December of 1997 we were called to pick up this
ferret as the woman was entering hospice.  The apartment was clean but
stark, no evidence of the Christmas Holiday.  A cage was brought to us by
the daughter - theree4 was a brown ferret with a few toys and an opened
large bag of cat litter to come with him.  The daughter then retired -
clearly overcome by the situation.  The Mother thanked us from her hospital
bed for looking after this ferret- it seemed no one else would help.  We
took Brodie and left- wishing the circumstances were different.  We read
her obituary in the local paper 5 days following.

Brodie- hated me, hated us - he must have thought we stole him away from
the home he loved.  AT 4 1/2 years of age grief overcame him- forced
feedings had to be started, sub-q pushes and Brodie never ever liked me,
but would respond to shelter Dad.  A month or so later a couple stopped
in to donate a set of file cabinets.  I introduced sad little Brodie to
them -- unbelieveably Brodie was licking their noses-- the FIRST thing
positive since his arrival.  It was that day he went into foster / hospice
care with Judy & Christian.  Brodie disliked other ferrets but had free
roam with 3 elder kitties and was a JOY to behold in his new - second home.
Soon he would have a surgery for insulinoma, and a year later an adrenal /
insulinoma surgery-- that little boy was a real loved ferret and gained a
love of life again.  He hopped and ran through the house and played
wonderfully .  He continued on and age was taking a toll - then he began to
limp -- the xray showed it was bone cancer.  Another odd that Brodie would
not cave easily to.  Though the vet said it would take him swiftly- Brodie
managed to squeeze in 3 glorious months and to see the Spring tulips before
the pain began and he was released.  Brodie is sadly missed though we are
certain he has met his first Mom and is playing happily once again with
her.  Shelter Mom & Dad send their love & thoughts as do his foster folks
Judy & Chritain.  Would you please say hello to "Brodie-Brodums" for us
Sandee-- we want to know he is okay and is happy again.

Brodie 1/24/94 - 5/18/01

Alicia
shelter Mom at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org