From:
Chip Gallo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1993 16:22:59 -0500
> From:  Colin <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      planes & shows
>
> Anais and Mr. Bojangles had a gleem in their eyes when I read to them that
 some
> one was inquiriing about a ferret show in Maryland.  I have no knowlege of it,
> but I sure would like to hear about it.  Anais and Bo like to meet other ferre
> ts, but living in DC (which someone told me was ferret-free), they don't get
 mu
> ch opportunity.

From the EVENTS column in the AMERICAN FERRET REPORT, the Official Report
of the American Ferret Association, Inc.:

FERRET EXPO '93 - Saturday, Feb. 6th, 1993 at the Adult Recreation Center/
Old Armory, 2nd and Bentz Streets in Frederick, Maryland. FURO sanctioned,
3 ring championship show sponsored by the American Ferret Association,
Inc. and United Vaccines, Inc. For more information or a show packet
call 301-694-0393 or 301-898-3228.

> My next inquiry deals with intracontinental flight and ferrets.  I rceently
 had
>  to drive from Washington  DC to Chicago because US Air would not allow me to
> bring theomon board because "ferrets are not domesticated"  THey offered a
> number of expensive and inconvenient options (that is, air freight, where the
> ferrets probably wouldn't even be on the same flight)  I wasn't about to argue
> with the reservationist, but I was wondering if anyone had any real
 information
> on air transport of ferrets, or good persuasive methods of getting the airline
> to let me carry them on.  Or, could I get away by calling them "hamsters"
> (wink, wink, nudge nudge) and hope nobody
> is wise to the ploy?
> just wondering?

When my wife and I held FERRET EXPO WEST in Reno, Nevada, the subject of
air transport and ferrets came up frequently. We argued with our "show
airline," American Air Lines, but never got a satisfactory result. They have
a problem with ferrets mostly because of outdated notions and incorrect
labelling as a "non domestic species". There are also legitimate issues
such as food and water availability and temperature in the freight
area of the aircraft.

We shipped several ferrets by air freight for FERRET EXPO WEST and
all survived. It cost anywhere from $35-100 depending on the airline.
Several ferret farms also routinely air freight their animals. The
cargo hold is (obviously) pressurized. If the route of the plane is
through an airport where the ground temperature is below 50 degrees
and where a layover is possible, the carrier may refuse your pet.

My personal suggestion is to check with various airlines until you
find one that meets your requirements. We complained to the
Consumer Relations department at American [817-967-2000] and also
talked with the Area Sales Manager, Hollis Ann Marshall [800-433-
7300].

I have heard that a few airlines allow one pet carrier per flight
to go under the seat. You might ask your travel agent to check
this out for you. And you mentioned using an "alias species" for
your pet. Also, pet carriers disguised as hand bags (with ventilation
holes concealed) are also sold.

Good luck!

<Chip>