From:
Alan Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:55:57 -0500
>>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: ferret law in Michigan
>>hey, I need a statement about the change in the law in Michigan ....
>
> PRESS RELEASE FROM MICHIGAN DEPT OF COMMUNITY HEALTH
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> NOVEMBER 4, 1997
>
> MICHIGAN WELCOMES CDC FINDINGS ON FERRETS, RABIES
> [...text deleted...]

*Please* note that nothing has changed in Michigan --- they have *not*
changed any policies -- they have indicated an intent to do so, but have not
yet done it.

Read that press release carefully.  It will be nice if they follow through
and actually make a change, but they (the Michigan Department of Community
Health) haven't done anything but make a nice statement to take the pressure
off and make themselves look good.  It hasn't happened, don't relax with
strangers and your ferret - the fine state of Michigan will still execute
them.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if anyone out there can offer me proof.  The
best I was able to do through several calls to the MDCH was get a copy of
that press release (it's on the GLFA web page now).  So when the CDC
publishes the new guidelines, Michigan will apparently pay attention.  So
the politicians say.  We trust them.  Don't we?

Alan "Yes I'm suspicious, but I don't live in the thumb.." Moen

 --
Alan Moen                           [log in to unmask]
LAN Manager, Wayne State University Counseling & Placement Services