Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:32:13 -0400
I made my own gate for about $7 with three pieces purchased at Home
Depot. Two pieces are simple metal pieces that are meant to be used in
shelving. They have two lips and are recessed in the center. I screwed
one into the frame on each side of the doorway. Then I measured the
distance between the two and had a piece of pressboard cut at Home
Depot to fit snugly between them. We slide this pressboard in from the
top when the ferrets are running out of their cage, then when we put
them back, we just slide the pressboard back out. We chose a solid
pressboard over a clear acrylic because we did not want them to be able
to see 'the land beyond the gate'. Now they just ignore the gate as if
it's another part of a wall. The only downside is that the two pieces
of metal frame are a permanent part of the doorway, but they are really
not an eyesore, and there's less potential long-term damage than the
constant pressure applied by a baby gate.

Jeff
In Remembering Neo
Caring for Trinny, Morphy, and Baby Girl