Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:46:42 +0000
Dear Fml'er's

Climate for ferret's debate that really needs some action being taken,
with the on-going population growth and impulse buys. USDA regulations
is not just 85 degrees if full description requests there is included
as exactly regulated temperature and climate for ferrets 85 degrees
however if humidity is a factor temperature is significantly less.

Yes you will hear many statements of ferrets being stable depending in
their region of climate even excessive of 85 degrees, but they have a
form of shade or cool water to drink. But that is by responsible people
and ones aware of their no sweat glands and do not sweat. And place
cool water and make sure ample water is present.

Over and over many boycott's or complaints in pet stores and such where
they are not getting proper diet, no water, etc. Many even over the
temperature are well hot. See many people post about heaters, and
additional things relating to temperatures and if concerns for their
ferret. Yet the issue of ferret's proper temperature is a debate being
avoided. Ferrets do not sweat, so they can not cool down their body
when in excessive heat. Many issues of ferret Magazine when done on a
ferret shelter there is mentions of the various temperatures they set
forth for their ferrets and see they are in comfort for the area they
are at.

We have come up and have adequate temperature for our shelter that
dehydration, respiratory factors, and other ailments that can relate
to ferrets and lacking water weight and weakened immune system. Even
ferrets that we keep do not adopt due to ailment or special need is a
permanent resident in our shelter till their passing day comes. It is
all related to habit, emotion, health, stress, etc. For us to keep the
controlled climate and humidity with in our shelter, certain health
issues many others deal with and go to a vet for, well is related to
the climate and dehydration or lack of water.

We in USA have the purest and easily available of water, yet 15% of the
population (Humans) are dehydrated and do not drink adequate water, and
carry far more toxins with in their body than some countries with a
struggle of clean water? 50-80% of your total weight is water. Water is
the only detox liquid to clean out our own toxins we take in. Ferrets
we have had with ailments of Lymphoma, other cancer tumors or growths,
issues related to helibactor infections, or fighting bacteria issues
with in their own immune system have lived much longer than the
standards or comparison to other cases similar to their ailment. With
the ferrets, water is a key thing to them, especially depending on
region, climate, they can not cool down their body when hot. They have
to seek water. In my talking with ones I have been for a while and
trying to at least have adequate requirements based on the humidity
in areas or regions as varies even with in own state based alone on
humidity. Why for as long as this has been done there is not enough
working at a proper climate, or range and recording and reflecting
improvements to their own ferrets? Whether you are an individual or
a shelter? If you have frequent visits to the vet and the ailments
are seeming regular and similar fashions ask the vet can this be a
contributing factor if loss of water is a relation to the ailment.

This is a hard area to get exact proper temperature range due to
humidity a major factor and many variations but if enough get involved,
see the changes with in the general health, longevity, even with major
ailments with in the ferret. But check you can save a lot frequent
visits and costs of vet costs by doing so, and typical ailments will
not be frequent or an issue. As well do not think we do not know when
to say when, with a ferret we do, no matter how heartbreaking it is
for us we still say when, when it is right for any ferret. But do not
lie down and ferret for any other reason or costs.

So All what I am asking is for all who have ferrets what temperature
to you keep the climate. Do you have frequent visits on a particular
ailment where you are at? Review ferret magazine yourself. Many report
the temperatures they operate at. And it is over where no major issues
and ferrets seem overall in good happy condition at that temperature.

But actions on this issue alone need to be addressed, regardless as
itÂ’s key to the ferrets overall health. Just as in us humans. But each
shelter work in relation to your vet you use, see where less tired,
less respiratory and cold ailments are at with the ferrets. Also ask
your vet if very knowledgeable on ferrets what temperature do they
recommend for the ferrets? But areas just in this should be a drastic
improvement for the ferrets overall especially on adequate water, not
being dehydrated, or provided hot water even during being exposed to
humid or hot temperatures. Why am I being told only one addressing to
the USDA? And well my approach used is dehydrated? As if they loose
the water weight and not having adequate water? Humidity is a hard
deciphers to pin. But there are enough scattered across the USA for
humidity and overall progress of ferrets temperament, attitude, habit,
health everything if proper climate for these lovable ferrets?

We can adjust our comforts to what we prefer with all the luxury we
have to feel comfortable but how really can a ferret tell their owners?
You decide? Give input? I would really like to see the issues and areas
of experiences. 4 years of providing controlled climate for the ferrets
not me or anyone else for that matter and well longevity, overall
health and even with conditions to ailments or diseases as active and
treated properly for these ferrets in our shelter. The Longevity of
their life with out pain or signs of uncomforting conditions due to
relations expressed by the ferret have really shown improvement on our
shelter ferrets. A ferret in any pain or stress or suffering shows it
even at extreme measures and they reflect a lot more tolerance to pain
as well then some of us humans.

So can some others attempt to address this and localize your comfort
zone properly for your ferrets? This would eliminate a lot of general
suffering and dehydration in ferrets over this issue. Enough reported
areas of proper climate by location a adequate judgment and set forth
temperature climate can be made for these ferrets.

Anyone want to relate or address this than just us?

Valerie Smith
Georgia F.E.R.R.E.T.S. Inc.