From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:59:55 EDT
>Cargo is not a bad place.  The animals are not treated as baggage.  You
>drop them off with a special section of the airline.  My Iguana has flown
>across the Atlantic 3 times, soon to be 4, and he has flown Delta Dash
>and BA World Cargo.

Just to clear up any confusion, this is NOT the same as shipping animals on
the plane with you in the baggage section!  There have been too many awful
stories about what happens to animals shipped as baggage; many animals have
died.  There is good reason NOT to ship animals as baggage on the plane
with you, especially in summer.  (Though in winter it is also quite cold).
This is why there are new airline regs about shipping animals.

I don't personally know about BA World Cargo, but a number of FMLers have
said very good things about Delta Dash.

I have only flown once with a ferret and that was in the cabin with me, on
a Delta flight.  Very positive experience, though I wouldn't want to do it
too often, too many things to worry about!  I also sat next to someone once
who pulled out a sherpa carrier which, to my surprise, contained a small
dog.

Ronnie