Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 16:31:51 EDT
I live in Virginia Beach, VA and I have used the same vet for some time -
and I consider the charges to be reasonable for the types of surgeries that
he/they are performing: $250.00 for a left adrenal, $300.00 for a right
and $275.00 for insulinoma.  Sometimes the charges include anesthesia;
sometimes not.  Some surgeries both vets are present; one in charge and
the other assisting.  Spaying/neutering has been steady at $80.00.
Descenting is another $80.00.  I did get a "special deal" when they wanted
to photograph a spay/neuter; and Buster's noogies and Diana's ovaries are
both famous - and they charged me $20.00.

Whether my vet cuts me a break or not, while important, isn't as important
as the fact that I *trust* them - with my personal kids as well as shelter.
I can tell that they care about my well-being, and the ferrets.  I can't
tell you how many times that I have shared tears with the vets after a
euthanasia or when one of the ferrets died.  I can think of a surgery
already this year, that when the ferret tragically died after a successful
surgery, the vet didn't charge me at all.  I guess what I am trying to say
is this - my vets know me, both as a personal client and as a shelter
client.  I don't *ever* "expect" a break on charges, but anytime I receive
them, they are gratefully accepted.  These guys know what I pay, how my
accounts are kept and how much to date I have spent at their clinic.  (I
jokingly asked them which of the new exam rooms I paid for, after a recent
expansion/update to the clinic).  I like the relationship that I have with
my vets - and I think that they are equally satisfied.

I would never tell my vet I think he is charging me too much - If I truly
thought that, I would be shopping for a new vet.  They are experienced
ferret vets and continue to try and expand their knowledge - by attending
seminars, reading journals, consulting with other vets.  They listen to
what I have to say, even if its balderdash - but then they tell me why that
doesn't work, or wouldn't be effective.  But they still listen.  In fact,
they are following up on my idea about Prilosec and how it might be used in
the treatment of helicobacter mustela.  I feel very fortunate that I have
these vets - and I hope that everyone else has an opportunity to have a
similar relationship with their vet.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854