From:
Jennifer Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:45:59 -0500
Hello everyone,

I'm down to 2 cats and one free-range ferret. My cats are indoor cats,
so I'm in a constant struggle to keep them from getting fat. Louie
Ferret is the oldest of the herd, so when they were kittens, the cats
quickly learned that there was always food available. When my ferrets
(3 of them, during the kitten years) would drop a little weight, I used
to mix some kitten food in with their kibble. The cats assumed this was
a favor to them and even began eating like ferrets, a few bites, every
few hours, from the ferrets' bowl and they began ignoring their kitty
kibble. We tried many different brands and varieties, to no avail. When
Alfador Cat was a little under a year, he developed asthma and the vet
took him off of dry food, so he wouldn't inhale the kibble dust, and
put him on wet food. This was a great treat for him and Menchi Cat and
they would lap up the food, but we were never able to get them to eat
more than 1/2 can each for breakfast and dinner. They were saving room
for the ferret kibble. To this day, 5 years later, they would rather
have ferret food than cat food. Since Louie is free-range, I can't even
hide his food in his cage, besides the fact that the cats have been
seen climbing into ferret cages to feast (funny sight). I also tried
using one of those guinea pig igloos to cover the bowl, but the cats
learned to head-butt it out of the way or turn it over before the
ferrets even learned to go inside and eat!

So, is there anyone else with cats who think they're ferrets? Has
anyone ever actually successfully reasoned with their cat to explain
that ferret food is made for the biology of a ferret and cat food for
the biology of a cat? And how do you tell your cat that the kitten
food in the senior ferret's bowl is making her a little round?

But seriously, does anyone have any ideas? I know that Louie won't be
around much longer, he's over 7 and inflicted with Adrenal Disease
and Insulinoma, but the cats' bellys grow bigger daily. They flop
side-to-side when they walk (funny sight too) and the vet is going to
want some answers.

And I need some help!

Thanks,

Jennifer and her Jersey Fuzzbucket