From:
Lisa Mancilla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 18:54:48 -0800
Hi everyone,

When we first adopted Shiva, she had black heads on her tail.  We had
finally cleaned the tail free of the black heads but the hair hadn't grown
back.  Thursday of last week I noticed that her tail was starting to turn
black on the tip.  By last night what little hairs that she did have on the
tip of her tail started to also turn black.

We took her to the vet today, it appears that because of the irritation from
the black heads, the pigmentation in the skin is now black.  I was promised
that nothing bad will come from this and that she may never have a full hair
tail.  We were given some sulfur based shampoo used for puppies and kittens.
Her tail may never turn back to ferret skin color.  Boo Hoo, she is fair
skinned, (she is a pastel kinda lavender color) so it's real noticeable.
Does this sound correct to anyone.  Is this common.  The vet said it was,
but I've personally never heard of it in all my readings.

We found out that she also has a cold or the flu.  She is on 2 cc's of
amoxi.  Her sleeping periods have been longer the last couple of days, I
guess I know why.  I was sleeping with Wiggles the other day and noticed
that she was snoring and gurgling in her sleep and I haven't seen much of
her in about 3 days either.  I bet she has the same cold or flu that Shiva
has.  It's been very cold here, maybe they caught a slight chill.  I'm
thinking of putting Wiggles on 2 cc's of amoxi as well.

On a lighter note, we are expecting to attend the OFA Christmas Party with
Georgia Wood and Sandy Streit next month.  I'm excited, Shiva will finally
get to meet her beloved Burnie.  We are really looking forward to the girls
having fun with their cousins in Oregon.

I was wondering if any of you vets have any information on the mouth
structure of Ferrets.  Since I have been studying Dentistry, I have become
very interested in the mouth.  I have yet to find any info on the structure
of the Ferrets mouth though.

Take care everyone, hope you get lots of wet nose kisses today.