From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 17:34:23 -0400
Hi gang,

I have experienced the dreaded ECE here at the shelter also.  I would like
to share what I believe to be the worst part of the whole ordeal that I went
through....

The worst part was **the fear and dread of this unknown thing** ! ! ! !

The fear and worry of wondering *if* and *when* it would hit here was FAR
worse than the disease itself.  I had 17 down with it at once, and it was
hard, but I would do it all over again (note: I had ZERO losses from ECE)
...just to get it *behind* me.

I think alot of ferret owners (NOT shelters) are scared to death of ECE
because we talk about the horrors of it so much, as if it were the end of
the world.  It is not, as a general rule.  Only 5 percent of all fuzzies
that get it have a chance of dying (provided proper care is administered to
all), and that 5 percent have some underlying problem or are older ferrets,
etc..  I would like for my post today to allay some of the fears of the
readers.

Shelters deal in large numbers, shelters deal with ferrets in horrible
condition when they arrive, shelters deal with ferrets with all sorts of
health problems upon arrival, some we can help, some we cannot.  Shelters
ARE GOING TO HAVE LOSSES just from the simple fact that we deal with 'kids'
that have problems, and that we deal with so many.  What we deal with is
usually nothing like what 'normal' ferret owners do.  Please remember this.

The biggest concerns once you are hit with this virus, are to be on top of
it, recognize it, and MAKE SURE the ferrets are getting plenty of fluids to
prevent dehydration, and start feeding them some form of duck soup if they
will not eat on their own.  If you have 'ill' children, older ones, or
whatever, then it could get rough, but as a general rule they will only be
sick for a few days, and after that you never have to *worry* about exposure
again.

My thoughts on 'to expose or not to expose' are.... I agree with Pam Grant
and Troy Lynn.  As has been said a hundred times, there is still alot that
is *unknown* about ECE.  Because of the *unknowns* how can you possibly
think it can be completely prevented?  If you associate at all with others
who have ferrets, you could get it from simply touching the ferrets owner's
hands, clothing, or whatever, and then take it back to your 'kids', you or
your fuzzy could pick it up at the vets office, so, in my opinion, unless
you can live inside a glass bubble, chances are excellent that your ferrets
will at some point come down with it, or at least be exposed.  Don't kid
yourself that it hasn't come to your area yet, because I guarantee it WILL.
It is spreading rapidly and will likely take in the entire ferret community
before we have a vaccine or anything to immunize against it.

If you have ferrets that have some health concerns, or ferrets that are over
4 or 5 years old then by all means *take every precaution to avoid
exposure*, but don't fall into a false sense of security that you really
will be able to prevent it, you may, you may not.

If your ferrets are healthy, under 4 years old, and you have gained all the
information you can on how to deal with it (recipes, etc.), then I feel you
*should expose them* in order to best protect them from getting it when they
are older, when it truly could be life-threatening.

As the saying goes.... **you can run, but you can't hide**  ! ! ! !

We don't know enough about this virus yet to really know 'how' to prevent
it, so best to be safe and expose the 'kids' for the sake of their futures
later on.

Like I said, the worst part is *dreading* it.  Remember, I am here to help
if anyone has questions or needs help dealing with ECE or needs recipes,
etc..  Phone is 817-599-7740.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth, if anyone disagrees with me that
is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no reason to
start a debate with me over this, there is too much of that already, and I
am simply too busy helping the fuzzy children with real problems to spend
time arguing or debating.

Kisses to all the fuzzies.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter