From:
Anatole Mori Wolfsdorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 06:59:05 -0500
Hello everyone..Here's a thought.  If you live in Chicago or Connecticut
and are interested in adopting the two best ferrets in the world (although I
know it's hard to back this kind of statement up, and the level of
competition is pretty high)--and by this I mean if you willing to feed them
Totally Ferret/Iambs kitten chow (Nutrical, Laxatone, and whatever else Bob
C says is ok), change their bedding regularly, scoop their litter
(Yesterday's News) twice daily, let them out of the cage whenever you are
around and play with them for AT LEAST an hour a day, have a well-ferret
proofed home but can tolerate the occasional up-land expedition (to desks,
bookshelves, dining room tables, etc.); if you don't have a dog or cat or
landlord with an attitude problem, and (if you are in Chicago) have a car
and will take them for their yearly checkups to Drs. Ness and Brown at
Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital, then I guess I could consider
letting them move in with you.

Sabrina is the petite and pedigreed (my stars don't she know it) one; a
gorgeous spayed-but-undescented sable; she will be three on June 27.  Maia
is a great big MF sparkling white albino girl, estimated age is slightly
younger than Sabrina and never lets her forget it.  Sabrina has an extremely
active imagination; Maia is more down to earth; Sabrina is far more
sophisticated when it comes to treats; Maia is the self-appointed
water-weasel ("must check bathtub") and bull-dozer extraordinaire ("must
rearrange small objects").  Both are completely litter-trained in the cage
and 90% newspaper trained to use particular corners outside of the cage.
They should mix well with other ferrets and have been exposed to ECE.  They
are well-versed in household management ("plastics under the bed, jingly
balls in the closet"), don't eat cloth or chew errant squash balls ("squash
balls go in the closet"), and roll over for pinched raisins.  Maia is the
kissy-faced one who follows me around and pulls flatliners; Sabrina has
several on-going kibble-stashing projects that take up a good deal of her
time.  Sabrina has been known to spell with the occasional superfluous "u".
Sabrina likes the Marx brothers, Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon," Charlie
Trotter's, and the Cubs; Maia apparently prefers the Three Stooges,
snorkling, mountain climbing, and would willingly go to a Sox game.  Sabrina
has expressed doubts about the existence of the Rainbow bridge.

Both are going to break my heart.  We are moving from Hyde Park in Chicago
to Milford, Connecticut on June 20th.  The last thing I want to do is to
give them up, but keeping them is becoming increasingly difficult (read--new
husband is kind of grumpy, new landlord does not permit pets, human baby in
the works) and I think it better that I let people know they are looking for
a home (in either Chicago or Connecticut) now rather than a year from now.
If you are interested please respond to [log in to unmask]

Resignedly,

Anatole Mori Wolfsdorf
Department of Classics
The University of Chicago