From:
Cheryl J Halley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:21:45 PST
My brother has cats and wants me to visit him.  If I take my ferrets with
me, do I have to worry about them infecting each other?  My ferrets are up
to date on their rabies and distemper shots and are indoor ferrets.  My
brother's cats have just had regular shots ( I don't know what regular cat
shots include) and he keeps his cats indoor.

One other question.  I took my ferrets to the vet.  Sushi had been rubbing
her ears along the ground and Sneeuw had red patches of skin.  The vet did
not see any thing in Sushi's ear (like mites) and did not see fleas on
Sneeuw.  I had included Sheppard and Greene nutri life food in with their
Marshall's within the last two months and also added carpet to their cage.
The vet thought it might be an allergy to one of those, so he suggested
going back to Marshall's and removing the carpet.  Then putting the ferrets
on Dexamethasone (0.25mg) for approximately a week to clear up symptoms.
After that I could try and reintroduce the food and the carpet.  My question
have other people had ferrets with allergies and how has it worked out?
Also I had posted awhile back about Sneeuw's skin and was told to have a
skin scrapping done.  Could someone tell me about this procedure, so I know
what to talk to the vet about if the above treatment doesn't work.  Also, do
you have to take a sample from the ears to check for mites and stuff or is a
visual inspection sufficient?  Thanks for any help/information you can
offer.  It's best to e-mail me at [log in to unmask] since I am usually behind
on the FML.  Thanks again.

Cheryl
Sneeuw (If skin scrapping involves a razor and my skin, you can take my
place Sushi, Mum, anyone!)
Sushi (But I like rubbing my ears on stuff!)
P.S.  The vet said I could use rubbing alcohol to help clear the ears of
wax, but I thought someone posted that that was too drying for ears.  IF
so what should I use?

[Moderator's note: This FML is so short that it probably will get through
to juno.com, but in general, the FMLs never make it through to juno.com
and I am no longer accepting subscriptions from juno.com.  They have a
rather severe size limit for incoming mail and almost all the FML's are
sent back from there as being undeliverable.  So, yes, responses should
probably be sent directly to Cheryl (in addition to the list if you are
so inclined.  BIG]