From:
Gerri Himberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 19:59:24 -0700
All this things about self-euthanization are about the most gruesome I
have read on the FML in quite some time and I am really shocked that it
has been allowed through in such detail. Instead of concentrating on
ways to kill the animals you love, why don't you concentrate on ways to
ensure their safety?? I promise you that having to euthanize an animal
by yourself will haunt you for a very long time, no matter what the
reason you think you are doing it. Those of you posting on how to do
it definitely have something wrong as well.

Instead, why not have emergency supplies and phone numbers ready. Have
a crate and supplies close to the cage, and possibly at a friends house
who might be willing to watch your animals in an emergency. That way
you could just move the animals over.

Keep a list of motels/hotels that accept animals and have supplies
ready so that you are ready if need be. If there is any need to
possibly spend any time in your vehicle, make sure you have a playpen
and all supplies- maybe a tent if you will need one- I would live in
a tent before I would consider killing my animals.

Talk to friends and family before anything happens and find out who
might let you keep your animals with you and for how long. Find out
who will go to your house and take care of your animals in their
house if something happens to you.

If you don't have anyone, compile a list of reliable petsitters and
begin stockpiling money for a rainy day, or try to find someone you
could barter petsitting with- you could do some work of some sort
for them, and if you need it they could watch your animals.

The point is, there are many other ways to ensure your animals don't
suffer than killing them. If they have to go to a ferret shelter, it's
better than death. There are ways to take your animlas with you in an
emergency- preplanning is the key.

Personally- I wouldn't be going anywhere without my animals- and I
wouldn't kill them either. That's insane thinking.

~Gerri