From:
mary ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:37:04 -0500
Dear FML'ers,

In an effort to make life easier for some of my busy fellow ferret folk I
decided to create a USDA draft letter that can be amended with any & all
personal testimonies and sent off to the proper people.  You can either
send it to your MS Word or retype it adding your own twist.. or not---
this is fine the way it reads now--that is up to your time & passion
on this subject :)  It's all about getting those letters out there Go
to the International Ferret Congress--if needed to refresh your memory
of the petition & Dr Kudraks wonderful letter she attached as well:
http://www.ferretcongress.org/

Please do not think if you live in California or other areas ferrets
are not permitted that you cannot write--you can still write about the
injustices--just don't tell 'em you have ferrets, silly

If you have been frustrated or touched in any way with a sick or too
young pet shop story--either personally or through anothers story---put
it in the letter--this will give it more weight

It is the number of letters that really count here in terms of getting
attention for this change so even if you copy this letter to a 't' that's
fine too just get them out there...please

As suggested earlier...as difficult as it is at times with such a dear
to the heart subject...keep it polite & professional..that gets the best
results :)

One letter goes to:

Mr. Bobby Acord
USDA Administrator of the Animal Plant Inspection Service
1400 Independence Ave SW Room 200-A
Whitten Building
Washington, DC 20250

Also email him a copy at:      [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr Robert Acord,
I am writing to support the petition recently submitted to your office
concerning the welfare of one of the most popular pets in the United
States today--the pet ferret.

I would like to request a revision in the requirements for ferret
breeding farms to better reflect the intent of the Animal Welfare Act.
The ferrets are weaned, neutered & shipped too young for their little
immature bodies to endure resulting in compromised conditions creating
malnutrition & at times death.

I share my life with ferrets & find this very disturbing.

I respectfully request your help in correcting these horrific injustices.

Thank you very much

Also address a copy to:

Ms Ann M. Veneman
USDA Agriculture Secretary
1400 Independece Ave SW Room 312-E
Whitten Building
Washington, DC 20250

Email her as well at:   [log in to unmask]

Also very important--click on these sites to find your local
politicians & send them letters & emails too :)

http://www.house.gov/writerep/
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Thank you all so much
Take Good Care
Mary Ann

You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.
Isadora Duncan~~

A wound will not heal until the matter is given words and witness
Clarissa Pinkola Estes~~