From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:05:20 -0400
I don't have time to look it up but doesn't Evo contain potatoes?  (Note
that I could be wrong.) Recently I ran into an article about how potatoes
have a higher glycemic index than some of the grains do, nor are they
alone.  So, if glycemic index is your concern then remember that grains
don't stand alone on that regard and if they are worried about then so
should certain veggies be worried about, BUT also recall that glycemic
index is increasingly called into question as a tool, so perhaps neither
has quite the impact hypothesized.

Some recent human studies have called glycemic index into question,
and some do so for reasons that generalize, including the following.

Here is some info about a March study in the British Journal
of Nutrition, but there are others with similar conclusions and
approached from different directions.

>But not all studies have found associations between high-GI foods and
>elevated blood sugar and diabetes.  One reason is that it's hard to
>translate lab findings on glycemic index to the much more complicated
>realm of everyday eating, according to Dr. Elizabeth Mayer-Davis, the
>lead author of the new study.
>
>One problem, she told Reuters Health, is that a food's GI is determined
>under artificial conditions where a person eats the test food after a
>fast, then has blood sugar tests taken two hours later.  But a food has
>different blood sugar effects when it's not eaten after a fast, she said.
>
>In addition, many factors sway blood sugar levels after a meal,
>according to Mayer-Davis, a diabetes researcher at the University of
>South Carolina in Columbia.  These include the length of time a
>carbohydrate is cooked, the foods it is eaten along with, and the
>workings of an individual's hormones, among other things.  ...

>The findings, Mayer-Davis said, reinforce the notion that GI is
>"simply not a good index of how food impacts blood sugar." ...

>What's more, GI is a complicated way to judge a food's value.  Certain
>vegetables, for instance, have a fairly high GI, but actually contain
>very few grams of carbohydrate and few calories.  On the other hand, a
>dish of ice cream may have a lower GI than a bowl of brown rice.  ...
>
>High-GI foods, like white bread and potatoes

There is a lot more out there in recent months.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org