From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 19:14:29 -0800
Chris:  You can be proud of your accomplishments on the FML and I would
like to thank you for your 1000 issues! Although I have only been here
for less than 100 issues, I have learned a lot. The FML is the highlight
of my e-mail day! Before fading away, why not give us a short history of
the FML and your impressions about the 1st 1000 issues (maybe some
anecdotes?) And how about some information about Bill (from Bill?)
Again, thanks for everything.

Second thing is a request for information.  Our ferret club is trying to
convince Scamps Pet Stores (in the Pacific Northwest) to quit using cedar
shavings. Typically there is about 2 inches of shavings in the cages
and the food and water bowls are covered.  Scamps says that there have
never been ANY studies done regarding a correlation between cedar (or any
other kind of shavings) and ferrets. They said they would quit using
shavings if we could show them any kind of scientific study proving our
point.
        I have read many places that state that shavings should not be used,
but I have not heard of any studies. Could someone please cite a study on
the use of cedar shavings and ferret health?  In the alternative, any study
between cedar shavings and small animals would be helpful. Also, if
anyone is aware of any studies showing that there is no correlation, that
would also be appreciated. (As a law student, I try to analyze both sides.)
If you prefer, you may e-mail me directly.

        -Carla + Tillie, Gunther, Magellan, Roxie, Amber, Annie, Smokey,
Rommel, Riker, Cooper, and Baron von Ferret