From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 16:04:39 -0600
It's Sunday afternoon and the house is so quiet and empty.  Hard to believe
since there are 3 ferrets running about, 5 cats playing and fighting, 8
finches constantly chirping and fluttering, and a guinea pig that oinks and
chews incessantly... but their sounds do not comfort me.  My little girl is
gone and part of my spirit has left with her.

As I lay in bed this morning I couldn't figure out why things felt so
strange... and then it hit me.  It has been such a long time of caring for
her, preparing her med and food, bathing her and washing the floor - that
not getting up to do so feels so odd.  She was sick only for a few months
but, oh yes, Max, our adrenal ferret was under our care as well during her
time.  He had been sick for about 4 years and needed the same kind of
looking after.  He left us just before I joined the FML in May.  Oh, and
Rocko, our epileptic ferret, was with us only for a short time but he
needed constant care as well.  And then there was Titch, who had insulinoma
and a heart condition, who went into seizures daily.... and then there was
Vincent who had terminal bone cancer.  I never really had the time to think
of what it was that we did only that we did it because these babies were
our babies and needed care.  There was not one thing that we would not do
for them.  And even though their cases were terminal and left us nights
without sleep and days of worrying and crying, I would not have changed a
single day.  Their lives were precious and meant so much.  With every
breath they took, they gave us life.  With every trembling step they took,
they helped us reach a higher plain.  With every moment of unconditional
love they gave us, we learned compassion and forgiveness.  Each one gave us
more than I am sure we gave them and this is written to honor them all.

This is also in memory of all those precious babies that have gone before
and since Tinder's passing.  Their lives have given us all so much.
Tonight I will light a candle in memory of each of my babies and remember
them for their triumphs and their courage.  I hope you join me where ever
you are and do the same in honor of your little ones.

Thank you all for your deep felt messages - I am overwhelmed.  I will
answer each and everyone as soon as I am able.  They have touched me
deeply.  I know that Tinder is reading them with me.  The FML is the
greatest collection of souls that I have ever been honored to know.

- To Tasha: You taught me the importance of defending the rights of those
  who cannot.
- To Vincent: Your strength and courage showed me never to give up and
  not to sweat the little stuff.
- To Titch:  You taught me that even when others gave up on you that you
  did not.  Never give up hope.
- To Rocko:  You taught me that joy can be found in the simplest of places.
- To Smudge: You taught me that there are no problems in this world, only
  potentials for solutions.
- To Hobbes: You taught me that friendship is forever and love is
  unconditional.
- To Midge:  You taught me the importance of play and forgiveness.
- To Max:  Your perseverance taught me never to say never.
- To Tinder: You taught me that everything happens for a reason, no matter
  how painful it might be.

Betty and her Blur O'Fur in memory of cherished hearts, gone but not
forgotten, and missing you all.