From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:14:24 -0500
HI all,

Blossom is just having too much fun learning to live in a home setting
to type today- but I thought I would give a quick update as a shelter
Mum. Our dearly departed boy Vanya returned from cremation and went
home to hospice Mom Judy at St Gregory's House last week. Vanya is now
free from all his pain and at peace. A sadder side of the shelter life,
but one we see. Oleg also there has bone cancer in a hind leg and is on
hospice watch though he still has great appetite & spirit, prayers are
always welcome. Rascal the last remaining NH flood ferret in our care
is now totally blind and needs help finding the food bowl but is in
good shape otherwise on lupron & melatonin.

On a brighter note After a week of intensive care elder ferret Nestle
has made a great comeback. Thanks to his Santa Kathy T for sending off
his dehydrated chicken treats - that and his soup has helped perk him
back up and get him in a far better place than he was in. Hopefully he
will make it to the Holiday now.

Blossom, Destiny Elric and Barn-y continue to get into all kinds of
ferret fun living up in the apartment with me & shelter Dad. I thought
things were hectic but keeping them out from under the sink has proven
to be a challenge. Elric, now tubby and strong, has pushed everything I
could plant in front of the cupboard doors aside to open them and let
everyone in to play with cleaners etc! ARRGH! The cold has set in and
everyone seems to sleep more than they did a month ago, but when out to
play they sure do expend tons of energy. Destiny is with few exceptions
calming down and allowing herself to be held more.

I want to personally than the ANNONYMOUS friend who had a beautiful
silver ferret figurine made by Eleanor with santa cap and ornament sent
here to me. It reminded me of all the kids that have come through the
doors but most of all of 2 very special silver ferret boys that I miss
dearly. I have put that very special gift on the fireplace mantle in
what was the shelter room ( now Nestle's domain to keep me company when
I am in there caring for the old boy. Life has changed somewhat here-
I am away from the building more with several classes I give for
disadvantaged human children in creative arts... which hauntingly feels
like my ferret rescue work.

However the phone still rings at al hours of the day and night with
calls form all over the US needing ferret answers. The other night at
11:30 a gent called form IL, as no one could he find to contact from
GCFA, he has a new ferret kit at home and the 8 mo old boy was bullying
I gave him all the info I could on allowing the new ferret to go
through the induction process and told him to call if he needed and
hopefully since the call was not returned the 2 in Chicago are now
getting along fine! I also directed a family yesterday who called
form So Florida to several shelter contacts there - they wanted to
adopt. Successfully the Cornish,NH ferrets found a new home through our
referral postings, and we hope they will have a wonderful Thanksgiving
in their new family.

And mentioning Thanksgiving - I would be remiss if I did not say Thank
You to the shelter hospice folks, Greg, Maurice, Raelayne, Marilyn,
Cindy, Randy & Greg, who give mountains of love & care to the residents
who remain with Ferret Wise. They are the greatest gift to our efforts
t make a difference for ferrets. Due to my inability to walk as well as
I have- there will not be any Ferret Meetups until Feb after our Dec
1st holiday get together here... so if you want to get together please
consider reserving a place on Sat Dec 1st for our annual Yankee Swap
and meetup.

Not Lastly I would like to thank all the Friends of Ferret Wise who
have been supporting the work we do this year. It is always hard
implementing change in programs this was no exception - making the
shift from general shelter to hospice/sanctuary, humane consultants and
educators -- but we are off to a great start !!! We are standing by
with support for VT rescue agencies now that Petco in Rutland, VT is
selling ferrets .... We hope to curtail young ferret issues and support
the local agencies in case they develop such needs.

A shelter friend is dropping in at the VT store and keeping watch on
the young pre holiday crop at their location.

We look forward to expanding the education outreach come Spring 2008
We will be setting up a fund raiser in the near future to help keep the
residents well fed, in vet care and to build our educational outreach
programs, for we have come to realize the significant impact we have
yet to make will come through a better understanding by all of ferrets
and their needs as companion animals as well as through better
legislated protections.

Happy Thanks Giving a little early -- and may the God / Goddess /
Creator keep you all in good favor.

Fondly in ferrets,
Alicia , a shelter Mom at www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 organization