From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:30:31 -0500
I helped Laurie finish the first round of distemper shots on the 36 ferrets
rescued from MI this weekend, then we treated 72 ears for earmites.  What
fun!

Meanwhile, my daughter Joy trimmed toenails on Laurie's bunch, as well as
the rest of the shelter kids.  She also assigned names to some of the as
yet unnamed ferrets.  (Laurie--feel free to change them!)

I also had some time to become a little more familiar with these ferrets.

Every single hob is a big, cuddly, stinky sweetheart!  Well a couple of
them don't smell TOO bad.  Polar Bear, the elderly albino, lets the kits
beat up on him.  Arthur bites furiously at his cage until let out for
playtime, then he dooks, dances, runs into things and generally acts like a
clown.  A timid hob is slowly gaining confidence, but still clings to
whoever is holding him for dear life.

There are some very cute jills, but watch out for that pretty sable!  She
is very protective of her cage and cagemates, treating them like kits (we
don't know if they are her kits or not).  She needs a little work.  Some of
the jills are coming into heat, but fortunately we have access to a v-hob
to bring them out.  Laurie is monitoring their condition closely.

Mandy and Charlie are an older pair that are completely devoted to each
other.  After shots and ear treatments, they groomed each other to make
sure they were ok, wrestled a bit, then curled up together for a nap.

The kits are typical rowdy kits.  Laurie has to fill their big food dish
twice a day.  They have big ears, but from their size at 4 months, they may
grow into them!

Some of the altered ferrets are very thin.  Laurie will work on them with
TLC and duck soup.

We'd like to again thank everyone who has donated food, vaccines, hammocks,
misc accessories, time, cash, and so on.  Laurie is keeping a detailed
account of all income and expenses.  Our single biggest expense is going to
be the neutering and spaying costs.  Even with the discount our vet
provides, it is going to cost around $1000 to have them all fixed.

We greatly appreceiate any donations to this vet expense. You can send
checks to
Douds Veterinary Hospital
12115 State Rte 58
Oberlin OH 44074
440-774-4542
credit the Raisin Retreat account

We are also going to have at least a couple adrenal surgeries, perhaps more.
Those will be done by
Dr. Wayne Turner
Animal Clinic Northview
34910 Center Ridge Road
North Ridgeville, OH 44039
440-327-8282

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped out.

Linda Iroff
Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter
Oberlin, OH
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html

To help in raisin' funds for the Raisin Retreat, go here