From:
Jack Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 01:30:46 -0500

FMLers:

        Two things:
        First, Facile, our 5 mo old sable female, had a wierd
episode.  Last night, she went to sleep under the stove; when
she was prompted to get out, she became lethargic, her gait was
unsteady, and ultimately she became almost inert, for about two
hours.  Very, very scary.  Ultimately, she vomited twice, and
gradually regained some ferret energy, in short bursts.
        So, how come?  She had slept under the stove before; my
memory of this is that she was somewhat sluggish after those
times, but I put it down to fatigue.  This time was different,
much more severe (and, we have blocked off the stove, now).
There was also the introduction of a new ferret (Bagel) the day
before, with its attendant stress; both are MF offspring, from
the same pet store, etc.  Facile has had all her shots.
        My own theory is that there was some oven cleaner, or
other chemical, remaining on the floor under the stove, which
she inhaled while asleep.  My concern is this: is there some
residual effect of poisoning?  How could we tell?  She seems
fine today, but her episodes of sleep are longer.  Any other
theories or thoughts?  Would a vet visit be useful (difficult,
since we live in a FFZ)?  Any other advice?
        The second thing is the story of Facile's name.  Many
years ago, my wife and I had tea at the Ritz in Boston (the
only time that happened!!).  At an adjoining table were two
senior women comparing their families.  "My daughter moved to
California and married a tennis teacher", one said. "One of his
students is that nice young movie star, Facile Ferret"  And so
Facile, oh so long ago, had a name.  Sartre was wrong:  essence
did preceed existence, at least in Facile's case.
        Anyhow, I would be delighted to hear from anyone on
possible explanations of her episode last night.

Jack, Donna, Kate, Michael, Facile, and Bagel