From:
Richmond Ferret Rescue League <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:17:38 GMT
Hi FMLer's,

There was a disturbing post on the FML (7/20/00) that I would like to
address.  As a shelter operator, we take in neglected and abused ferrets
by the dozens, which we work hard to adopt out to good, approved homes.
Many animal lovers have a soft spot for abandoned animals, and they will
specifically seek out a shelter to adopt an animal that needs a home,
rather than purchase a kit from a retail store.  BREEDERS that advertise
their ferrets as "adoptable" are way out of line.  I have seen posts from
individuals that read something like this: "Looking for one of those big
7 pound ferrets?  We happen to have a few 8 month old guys, they are
descended from so-and-so's line of ferrets, they're adoptable NOW!" OR
"We have Kits for adoption, they are descended from blah, blah, blah..."

The definition of a adoptable ferret is, to me : A ferret that has been
surrendered to a shelter, abused,abandoned, found, left on the doorstep or
turned over by Animal Control.  These are a few examples.  An adoptable
ferret is not one one from a breeder that has been BRED ON PURPOSE.  If the
Breeder isn't able to sell their offspring, it is unfair to try to sell
them as "adoptable" ferrets- this is misleading to the potential "adopter"
and unfair to "real" ferret shelters.  There are hundreds of ferrets in
shelters that truly need to be adopted.

***NOTE: There are MANY breeders that accept back ferrets from their buyers
(didn't work out, moving, didn't like, etc.); so there is a fine line
between the term "adoptable" and "sell".  If a breeder takes back ferrets
(or sometimes actually accepts ferrets that need homes and the owner
doesn't know what to do with them),I have no problem with these breeders
advertising them- as long as they explain the actual situation.

I DO have difficulty with Breeders that just out-and-out advertise their
"excess" ferrets as "adoptable.

I also wonder about these breeders that SELL their "adoptable" ferrets
whole.  Shelters advocate Spay & Neuter; most ferrets from a "real" shelter
are spayed and neutered, OR the adoptee has to sign a neuter/spay agreement
and show proof of the procedure once taken care of.  I believe the post I
saw on the 7/20/00 post didn't mention spay/neuter.

Please support your local shelter; We DO have ferrets that have never had
an owner touch them gently, or feed/water them, or care if they lived or
died.  Shelters make it their business to care.

Think about it.

Marlene Blackburn
Richmond Ferret Rescue League
(804)271-9591