From:
Kimberly Bruno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 20:20:03 -0800
I'm looking for a forever home for 2 ferrets that came from a neglected
and/or abused home. The ferrets can go to two different homes or one
home that is willing to keep them separated. Here's a little history on
the ferrets:

We got a surrendered ferret about 3-4 weeks ago. A thin 3 year old male
in a guinea pig cage with cat litter was dropped off at our house. The
guy who dropped him off claims that the ferret belonged to his mother
who was dying of cancer and she was unable to care for the ferret any
more. The ferret's name is Spudz. He came with no food or supplies
other than the cage, but the guy said he was fed Meow Mix and raisins.
He was defecating liquid poop initially, but is getting better and
better every day. Spudz flinches every time a hand comes near. He is
very head shy and extremely weary of hands, but will allow you to hold
him. He had rat tail, but his fur is growing back since we put him on
a quality diet. He is currently in a temporary emergency foster home.

He has been to the vet. The vet determines that other than the neglect,
he is relatively healthy with no major illnesses. His body condition
will improve with time and care. He also been diagnosed with a bacteria
infection that he is on meds for and will be off of them soon. Ferret
is approx 3 years old.

Now, the story gets worse. The son calls 2 weeks later and says that
there is another ferret and he needs to drop it off ASAP since his
mother has just passed. He claims that this ferret is "younger". Nope.
This ferret is older and in worse shape. Oscar is in pretty poor
condition. A broom is softer than this ferret's fur. He is missing hair
all over his body. He is adrenal and Insulinomic. He can walk, but his
back feet are deformed from never having a nail cut in his entire life.

He is also head shy and does not like hands. He and Spudz were probably
hit on a regular basis based on how weary of hands they are. The son,
who dropped them off, had no kind words or love for them.

Both ferrets are not socialized and are biters. Neither ferret likes
our ferrets. Spudz has high ferret aggression. Oscar tolerates other
ferrets, but prefers not to associate with them.

We do not know if their poor behavior is due to the stress of being
away from their home or if they are normally this way. The son claims
they were best buddies and got along fine with each other, other
ferrets, cats, and dogs. But I have not seen anything that indicates
any of this. The two boys were just reunited for the first time last
night. They have not seen each other for several weeks. Spudz was
already moved to an emergency foster home several hours away before we
were even aware of Oscar. Oscar had to wait for a vet appointment to
get a Deslorelin Implant before joining Spudz. Last night, they were
finally reunited, however, the reunion did not go well. Spudz did
repeatedly attack Oscar aggressively. We are giving them some time to
re-acclimate themselves to each other.

They can go separately. Ideally, they should go to an experienced home
with no other ferrets or small children. We will allow them to go to a
ferret household, but be aware that they might have to be housed
individually.

The ferrets are currently being cared for by the Northern California
Ferret Alliance. Since Oscar has already been diagnosed with medical
problems the club will continue to pay for his yearly deslorelin
implant, pred for his insulimona, and blood glucose checks 2-3 times
a year.

These boys need some dire TLC and rehabilitation.

We are located in Northern California(San Francisco Bay Area,
Sacramento, and Central Valley) however, we are willing to travel for
the right home.

Much help is appreciated.

If you are possibly interested in either ferret or both please contact
me at [log in to unmask]

Kimberly