From:
Judith Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:33:40 EDT
To the lady in MI who was considering breeding ferrets:

Before even thinking about breeding ferrets one should have owned ferrets
for some years, be an active member of a ferret organization, and study as
much literature on the topic as one can accumulate.  I do think there is an
increasing demand for pedigreed ferrets, and gentle disposition is a key
ingredient in this.  Just about all small breeders will say they breed for
temperament, but you need to attend a few major ferret shows, and observe
which ferrets are calm in the stressful show hall environment, as well as
which ferrets are actually taking the ribbons.  As a judge in training for
AFA shows, I can tell you that "temperament breaks the tie," meaning that if
there are two equally gorgeous ferrets, the animals' behavior determines
which one is awarded more points.

Once again, I'd like to invite anyone who wants to learn more about breeding
or where to find a good breeder to send for a copy of the Breeder's Digest.
For a sample copy send $2.75 to P.O.  Box 2371, Leesburg, VA 22075.

And please, let's not get into an online kvetch about the ethics of breeding
ferrets when there are so many shelter ferrets.  There are a lot of dogs at
the pound, too, but I'd never tell a breeder of championship Salukis or
Poodles this was a valid reason to stop breeding.  Responsible people
deserve to be able to buy a fine animal that has been humanely raised, if
they care to do so.

                               Judith Sanders