From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:04:42 -0400
As I mentioned in a different post, I have only been feeding ferrets
a raw diet for a little over a year, and so I can not comment on the
long term effects this type of diet will have on my ferrets' health or
length of life.

What I can comment on is how kibble has affected my ferrets. I have
had ferrets (in the plural - at one time as many as 36) in my home
continuously since 1985. That is over 20 years. During that time, my
hobs/gibs averaged a lifespan of 7 to 8 years old, and my jills/sprites
averaged a lifespan of 8 to 9 years old. This includes my ferrets who
had ADV. Yes, I have had some ferrets die younger, but 8 years is the
overall average lifespan for my ferrets who ate a kibble diet.

Currently, I have one 8 year old ferret, Monty, who is still doing
very well. She does not and has not had either adrenal disease of
insulinoma. She is still quite active, and has a beautiful plush coat.
She is 1 of my 2 ferrets that eats only kibble.

And, while I have had cases of both adrenal disease and insulinoma,
that has not been a major concern for me with my ferrets. For me, most
of my ferrets have passed away because of ADV, heart problems, or
unusual cancers. Many of my ferrets died having both adrenals in place
and no signs of insulinoma.

Now, maybe the ferrets I now have that eat a raw food diet will live
longer and even healthier lives. Only time will tell.

But, the point I am trying to make here is that while I am sure that
diet plays a role in the over all health of a ferret, I do not believe
that kibble is the main reason many ferrets live short lives or have
many health problems. I think it is likely that a number of factors
play into this, including diet, genetics, other husbandry issues, and
the age at which the ferrets are spayed and neutered.

I do think it is good that people are questioning things like diet,
and are exploring alternative feeding techniques. There is a lot that
we have learned about ferrets and their needs over the last 25 years,
but there is still a lot more we need to learn.

None of us are experts, really. But, by discussing issues about the
health and welfare of ferrets, we can all learn from each other.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/