From:
Jean Caputo-Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:05:55 -0400
Sorry for this, but it is hard enough for me to write, let pick up the
phone and call anyone.

I have to close the shelter.  I can't do it anymore.  I have only one
volunteer, Jane and if it weren't for her the ferrets wouldn't be eating
so well right now.  Getting ADV tests are out of the question, money goes
for food and litter, and distemper shots.  God help me if any of the
shelter kids get sick.  I can't miss another mortgage payment.

There are a list of ferrets to come in, none going out.  Last adoption
was June.  Donations do not exist, being 501 (c)(3) hasn't helped a bit.
Convincing a grant giving foundation that a ferret shelter is worthy of
funding has been a losing battle.  I don't know what else to do.

And convincing companies that donating is a good thing isn't that easy
either, everyone wants donations.

I bring home $250 a week, with and $800 mortgage payment (the house is no
huge luxury either, a 100 year old house that needs painted - oh yeah I
got a violation for paint on the house to top it all off) along with
everything else, I can't stretch my buck or think of anything to raise
money to keep the shelter going.  I still am hurting from the last GREAT
idea I had to raise money.  (BTW, the idea sucked big time)

Working second shift and weekends doesn't help either.  Imagine hearing,
well I am off Tuesday and Friday, I work Saturday from 1 to 10 PM and
Sunday from 10 AM - 6 PM.  If you want you can set your appointment for
after 7 Sunday or for 9 AM any day I work, I have to leave the house 30
minutes before I need to be at work, and it usually takes a couple of
hours to meet the kids and see if you like any of them and they like you,
oh, no, next week my days off are different.  People don't like having to
go around a weird schedule.  And the whole thing doesn't help the marital
thing either.

I don't know what else to do.  Unless I have some rich relative die and
leave me lots of money to keep going, I am done.

If there is anyone willing to take on a ferret or two, or shelter that
has a list of adopters, please let me know.  Right now I am working on
history and pics of the kids.  I will post it all on the web page.  As
soon as it is ready I will let everyone know.

Maybe Maury Popavich can do a show on broke shelter operators that close
down, I know of a couple!

jean