From:
Cathy Mallette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:53:10 -0800
Question 1: I know this has been a discussion on FML before. I
currently use something similar to pee-pee pads in my litter boxes
and they work well. I buy them in bulk so the cost is affordable and
they last a while. However I want to use litter instead. I have tried
different types of litter but have not found one I am happy with. The
clumping litter works good but when you put it in, it's like sand and
the ferrets love playing and tossing it around until they actually use
it. (messy) I do not like yesterday's news or pellet type litters.

So I would like to know what others use and why. Also are there litters
that should not be used with ferrets, such as a common cat litter?

Question 2: I recently had to stay in a hotel for a week (pets allowed)
so I brought my dog and 3 ferrets. The ferrets didn't get a lot of
runaround time and I had to confine them to the bathroom when they did
(didn't want poop on carpet). They were very inactive the whole time.
They ate, drank pooped, but didn't show a lot of spunk. They slept a
lot. Of course, they were in a much smaller cage than usual. I had them
in the bathtub with the top off. They could get in and out of the tub
via a blanket draped. toilet seat down. door closed. But they showed no
interest. Now they are home and back to normal. Unfamiliar environments
are a great source of curiosity to ferrets. But they seemed to lack
interest. Is this a normal reaction? I did put them on a blanket on the
rug once and they seemed to come alive :). Actually it was a relief
because I felt so bad having to confine them so much, but they seemed
to accept it. Is this unusual for ferrets to be so inactive and
disinterested in this type of situation?

Before I get any negative feedback, I would normally board the dog and
ferrets in this situation, but they had no power. I was grateful they
were able to come with me where I knew they were safe.

Thanks in advance for all replies and opinions

CathyM