From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:47:30 -0700
Hi folks, finally got some time to write about the Big Apple Ferret Fiesta.

It was a great show again.  We only took a couple up for ourselves to show,
one was a kit that we had placed but came back after the new owner changed
her mind about what she wanted.  We're grateful she did.  Shes now a large
beautiful sable point jill though still a kit.  Got a ribbon and lots of
comments.  Our Fat Elvis who never shows well stole the show again.  We have
no idea how many people held that big lug.

Best in show adult alters went to Zen's Abe Lincoln of HWB.  This is a sable
hob we placed with Bill and Glenna Hudson last Year - we called him Captain
Adventure while he was with us because he took off exploring long before his
eyes were open.  Oh and Sheena, his father is Atilla!  Zen's Mary Todd of
HWB took ribbons in all three rings of Adult breeder - seems we usually let
others have our better show ferrets or something.

I believe best in show kit went to Holly Layman's SH's Jewel Thief bred by
Sally Heber.

Best in show breeder went to Georgia Bailey's Badgerland's Gwyneth of DR.
If I remember correctly this is a ferret she brought back to Virginia from
Minnesota.

The Best in shows this time went to ferrets from "known" breeders but not
all of the blkue ribbons did!

I don't know who won all the specialties.

I managed to spend the whole day judging again.  Adult alters (no I didn't
put Lincoln first, it was Fran Wiles who did.  Turns out I put one of her
ferrets first.  With the AFA blind judging we had no idea.  This is a system
where the ferrets are placed in cages and the judges do not see the owner
handling the ferret and we don't know the owners.  This system is more like
cat shows than the older systems and much easier on the judges.  Being
unbiased is hard - it is hardest to be fair to the ferrets I've bred since I
tend to judge them down more critically if I recognize the ferret.  Oh and
Fran's ferret that I gave a blue ribbon to is one of those unknown rescue
ferrets I believe.

Also judged a few specialties, sable and mitts as I remember.

We got to see snapshots of two hobs we placed into Long Island.  That was
exciting.  Missed seeing them in person (in ferret?) but it is always good
to hear from the new parents.  We missed Kit West, too bad I was looking
forward to meeting him.  We did meet several others from the list.  A couple
folks had hand made FML stickers.  It worked.

Looking forward to seeing even more people and their ferrets in Annapolis Md
(Saturday), Chicago Il (Oct), Frederick Md (Nov 23) and Chantilly Va (Oct
26).  Maybe even Michighan.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/