From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:41:03 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

Yesterday Julie wrote:

>Keep them in an area that has the most 'normal' lighting conditions
>possible, and let them have as much free roam as possible.  Provide
>several hidey areas that are dark and hidden for them to burrow into.

Over the last few years I've heard a lot of mention of "nesting boxes",
essentially an artificial burrow for our fuzzies.  It has even been
suggested (although not proven) that giving them a truly dark place to
sleep, as opposed to one affected by the artificial lighting schedule
that we humans keep, might help stave off adrenal disease.

Well, I figured what the heck, I'd give it a shot.  Their polecat
ancestors lived in burrows, I'd make them a burrow.  If it helps
stave off adrenal disease, that's just a plus.

Here is what I did: Imagine a cardboard box as tall as a 10 gallon
aquarium, but only half as long.  I cut a round hole in one side, low
down, almost flush to the ground.  I halfway filled the box with the
ladies usual soft bedding.  Fleece sleepy sacks, and the little crocheted
blankies that I make for them.  I got an aluminum dryer vent hose at the
hardware store, a piece about four feet long, and I wedged it into that
hole that I had carved, and duct taped it in place, making sure there
were no sharp metal edges.  I taped down the lid,leaving me with a closed
box that was completely dark inside, and could only be entered by that
one tunnel.

It took Switch and Lily about 30 seconds to figure out that this was
their new bed.  I mean, they accepted it immediately.  I lifted up
the lid once or twice early on, and I found two little breathing furry
balls nestled in the pile of soft.  I bet it's nice and quiet in there,
peaceful.  They're pretty well insulated against household noise.

I take out the bedding to wash from time to time, and they have *never*
pooped in the corners.

I think this is a good option if you have free roamers, or a ferret room.
Just be sure that your box wasn't used to store motor oil or some bad
chemicals, because they have to breathe in there!

If you are into crafts or stenciling or something like that, you have a
box to work with.  Again, just make sure that you don't cover it with
icky chemichal glues or paints.  I'm sure you could come up with
something that looked cool, and was non-toxic.

Alexandra in MA