From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:35:50 -0400
Hi Troy Lynn -

I live here in Lake Co., IL. and have the article you mentioned in your
post, which was also published in the Lake Co. newspaper, the News-Sun
(Oct. 22 - 23). It is an albino mink, which is somewhat rare, but
definitely a mink. I've actually gone on a supposed ferret rescue here
in Lake Co., and it turned out to be an albino mink. They are gorgeous,
and the white minks do heavily resemble dark eyed white ferrets. There
is a large mink farm in my area, and some minks do escape from there
off and on. I've had plenty of rescue calls for ferrets, and it has
turned out to be very young minks. Someone in the area found a young
mink and raised it as a pet, though they're wild, and it escaped a
couple times. On the last escape, just 2 - 3 months ago now, the
Mundelein Animal Control facility captured it. They called a friend of
mine that has a sanctuary in a neighboring county, but she was unable
to accept it at the time. So this human raised mink was scheduled for
euthanasia. I contacted another friend that has a large sanctuary near
Rockford, Beth of Critter Camp, who you may have seen post here on a
regular basis. She was able to take the mink, and you can see his
antics on video via Beth's website. It always feels good to rescue
ferrets and find a home for them, but it also felt wonderful to play
a small part in saving this adorable mink, and know it has a great
environment to live out it's life.

Phyllis