From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:10:35 -0800
Last night, I went to Petco to visit with the babies there.  I know how
some of you feel about Marshall Farms, and I also know that they are the
primary supplier of kits for Petco.  My husband and I originally purchased
our first two kits from Petco, though since, after learning considerably
more about ferrets, we have decided that all our aquirements from now on
will be through shelters.  However, despite any ill feelings towards any
particular breeders, etc, those babies who were unfortunate enough to be
born through those channels are just as needing of our love as any other
fuzzies.  So, I periodically visit Petco to see the babies.  Of the two
Petco stores in my town, one is VERY good about how they care for their
babies.  Lots of love and attention, and great living space, etc.  However,
after my visit at the other store last night, I was IRATE!!  There was
only one baby.  (not surprising, as they had their ferrets for sale all
christmas season, another practice which I disapprove of highly!) He was
asleep in a pile of cedar bedding.  The only things in the cage were a
littler box, one cat toy-type ball with a bell in it, one bent plastic
tube, and one RAW HIDE chew toy hanging from the center of the cage.  No
hammocks, no sleep sacks, hardly any toys, and no other ferrets.  I was
told by the manager that I could not hold the baby because he "had a cold"
He'd been sneezing.  (Not surprising since he had no way of elevating
himself above the cedar while he slept!!)  So, no one was aloud to hold
him, not even store associates.  This baby was forced to sleep by himself
in cedar chips, without any handling, and nothing but rawhide and a ball to
play with!!!!  I don't know this for certain, but isn't rawhide dangerous
for ferrets?!?  I know that my vet told me to NEVER give rawhide to my
scottie dogs because it is known to cause intestinal blockages in dogs
smaller than a certain poundage... wouldn't the same be true for ferrets??
Anyway, I wish there were some way of rescuing this poor baby boy without
subsequently supporting the store practices financially.  Any suggestions?
(BTW, I made a lengthy complaint to the manager on duty, siting all the
things wrong with that picture, and he was very nice, asked what I would
suggest for bedding instead, etc, but seemed to know NOTHING about
ferrets...)

Melissa