From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 15:15:46 -0700
Monica Istvan asked:

>Quite some while back, someone posted about using a liquified version of the
>heartworm treatment vs. using the tablets...  Does anyone (vets?) have t he
recommended ratios, recommended liquid (solution) etc. I can give to my vet
to confirm her dosage info?  You can E-mail me directly.  Many thanks!

        Monica:

    While I don't have the compounding information handy, liquid heartworm
medication is made up of Ivomec (liquid ivermectin) and propylene glycol.
If you contact Dr. Debra Kemmerer in Gainesville FL, she will be happy to
provide that information.

Her address is:

Dr. Deborah Kemmerer
West End Animal Hospital
103 SW 140th Terrace
Newberry, FL 32669
(904) 332-4357

Also, if you want more information about heartworms in ferrets, you may want
to look at the new Ferret Pathology Home Page at http://vetpath.afip.mil.
This is a new page that I am constructing which addresses various topics in
ferret pathology and medicine.

[Moderator's note: And the heartworm section in there tells how to compound
Ivomec and propylene glycol :-)  Cool.  BIG]

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000