From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:42:59 -0400
Today (Saturday) we made a mad dash out of state to pick up a "quarantined
biter" at an SPCA shelter.  He is safe and sound playing eating etc in the
shelter.  What is so distressing is-- he a perhaps 16 week old male ( still
in fluffy transitional baby coat- with hed maturing) is transferred as a
less than 2 year old female - with a signed vets certificate stating a >2
year old MF spayed female.  sigh.... that isn't criminal-- just another
vet that can't sex ferrets so the biggest obstacle is getting vaccination
paperwork to reflect the correct gender & age before transfer!

what really bothers me is the ferret we COULDN'T save.  It had been
euthanized days before we ever heard about the ferrets at all.

A 3-4 year old female ( white) was euthanized because when the second
ferret was introduced it got "Aggressive".  As most of the readers on the
list know-- this ritual -- establishing a pecking order is a natural
progression in the animal kingdom.  We can't expect animals to bide by OUR
wishes -- just roll over and play dead now can we???

But what breaks my heart is the fact that somewhere-- in this world or
another is the spirit of a little white ferret who was so very afraid
afraid of losing the love and attention of her family she (or he) was
turned into shelter where she lost her life....

This IS WHY-- I, personally, do not feel pet stores do ferrets-- or other
animals any justice.  The animals are at the mercy of ignorance.

I am sorry little one -- only if I knew in time  ......

alicia
a somber shelter Mom at Ferret Wise

Meet the folks at Ferret Wise and learn about our mission:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html
"Fun-alia" catalog with lots of neat stuff - supports Ferret Wise
programs at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/funalia.html

For astrologically inquisitive ferrets only- June readings at:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/ferretscope.html
   and Visit iGive at
where you can anonymously support ongoing rehabilitation and education
projects at Ferret Wise by clicking and browsing at their site !  The
ferrets will thank you!