From:
Richard Beveridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:47:12 -0800
I've posted my fair share of feel good posts ,top ten lists and hopefully
funny stories.  This time I would like you to think about this.

Yesterday, the following line appeared in a post:
>some people find these weepy posts pathetic and annoying

I reflected on this for a while and would like to tell you what I think
about 'weepy' posts.  I don't like them very much !  However, they aren't
posted for my entertainment.  They are posted to help the writer through
the grieving process.  They help take a little weight off their shoulders
and are documented as being part of 'acceptance of death' in our society.
So why would someone post something very personal to a mailing list?  I
didn't have to think about this very long to come up with an answer.  I
would feel more 'bonded' to anyone with an email address of
"[log in to unmask]" or "[log in to unmask]" then I would to my neighbor
down the street (who's name I don't know) or some guy in the apartment down
the hall who I see once a month.

If you think about it, we FML'ers are 'related' to each other by way of our
choice in pets.  Being related (so to speak) gives us some benefits others
might not enjoy.  In real life, I argue and fight with my brother over the
type of car he drives and the brand of beer he drinks.  In fact, we argue
all the time.  But he'd be the first person I'd call if I needed help.
Same with the FML.  I get tired of reading about Marshall Farms, Pine
Litter Shavings, Totally Ferret Food, who's right, who's wrong and all the
other squabbles that take place.( Mind you, if we didn't fight over some
things, we would all be candidates for group counseling on the subject of
'backbonemissingness'.) However, I feel I could count on the fmlers of the
world if I needed a hand dealing with a ferret related situation.  Getting
back to <<some people find these weepy posts pathetic and annoying>>,I feel
it an honor that a 'stranger' would allow me to share some of the burden
they are carrying.  In fact, I feel it is my duty in our 'special society'
for me to carry some of the load.  Who knows .... I may have a burden that
I have to share very soon too.

Thank you for taking 70 seconds to read this (I measured it!) now back to
regular programming !